Linux Drivers

IceBryce

Linux Drivers

Post by IceBryce »

the community needs drivers. All the good companies have linux drives. Look at games like Ut2004 and UT2003 both have linux ports and are amazing. The trackir would be no exception.

Please make linux drivers. Third party drivers can only be so good, we want the pro's
Birch

Re: Linux Drivers

Post by Birch »

There is Linux support for the first generation TrackIR devices available from Zach Welch at :

http://trackir.superlucidity.net/

It does not support the TrackIR 2 or 3, but it is certainly a good strting point for future development.
IceBryce

Post by IceBryce »

I've made an atempt to install these drivers and ... nothing.

this are terrible and give me nothing at all. It is rather disapointing to not be able to use my trackir in linux.
IceBryce

Post by IceBryce »

has anyone ever tried to run the trackir software in WINE?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

IceBryce,

Please read the post from Birch as he indicates that there is Linux support for the first generation TrackIR only at this time.

I have had the opportunity to have a play around with this and Wine is a Windows compatibility layer which does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is an alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use some native system DLLs (if they are available).

Have you played around with the development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix which allows some unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes?

I hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me directly:)

[ May 23, 2004, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Wayne ]
IceBryce

Post by IceBryce »

do you ever expect to make a linux version for the trackIR3?
foxke

Post by foxke »

Hello IceBryce,

I am working with Zach, and we are currently planning on releasing updated linux drivers for trackIR 2/3 within the next two weeks.

We appreciate your continued interest.

If you have any further interest or feature requests please feel free to contact us!

sales@superlucidity.net
zwelch

Post by zwelch »

I have a new version of the package that should support all current and past models of the trackIR and SmartNAV.

In addition to having the firmware files included in the distribution package, this update uses libusb to talk with the device and no longer requires you to patch your kernel.

If you would like to receive a copy of this next version before it is released, please send an email to trackir@superlucidity.net and we'll give you the required download information.

Cheers,

Zach Welch
Superlucidity Services
IceBryce

Post by IceBryce »

Still waiting!

This 2 weeks you speak of.....are you using a different measure of time then the rest of us?
tuttle

Post by tuttle »

I want it too, oh.