Linux Trackir2/3 drivers

mbparrish

Linux Trackir2/3 drivers

Post by mbparrish »

I know this has been asked before, but is there any progress being made toward a linux driver for the TrackIR2 and 3? So far I've been running the TrackIR on windows and using 'synergy' to map the pointer over to my linux workstation. But I'd like to use the data as more than a mere head mouse. I have in mind:

1. Switching virtual desktops.
2. Focusing windows
3. Passive attention focus data mining

Various other ideas spring to mind, but I can't try them out with my current platform. Please?
Wayne

Re: Linux Trackir2/3 drivers

Post by Wayne »

Micah Parrish,

There has been no progress at the moment. The programmer who was working on them before stopped at the first version, and did not continue with his development.
foxke

Post by foxke »

Hello,

I am currently working with Zach Welch and we are planning on releasing updated linux drivers for trackIR 2/3 within the next two weeks.

We appreciate your continued interest.

If you have any further interest or feature requests please feel free to contact us!

sales@superlucidity.net
zwelch

Post by zwelch »

I have a new version of the package that should support all current and past models of the trackIR and SmartNAV.

In addition to having the firmware files included in the distribution package, this update uses libusb to talk with the device and no longer requires you to patch your kernel.

If you would like to receive a copy of this next version before it is released, please send an email to trackir@superlucidity.net and we'll give you the required download information.

Cheers,

Zach Welch
Superlucidity Services
IceBryce

Post by IceBryce »

Being a full on linux user i am disappointed in the lack of support in linux for the trackir 3 that i purchased. Any idea when the drivers will be available Zach?
Surge

Post by Surge »

quote:Originally posted by foxke:
Hello,

I am currently working with Zach Welch and we are planning on releasing updated linux drivers for trackIR 2/3 within the next two weeks.
2 to 3 weeks was over 1 year ago!
Any progress?

I really, really want TrackIR for a couple of FlightSims that run under Linux.

I've hunted the Web high and low many times looking for alternative solutions but all the alternative solutions are way out of my reach.
The closest is InterTrax2 but the $900 price tag makes me gasp for air.

I'm even willing to pay extra for Linux drivers.

Paul

[ September 03, 2005, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Surge ]
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Surge,

The SmartNAV and TrackIR hardware have been tested and it is possible that complete drivers and software could be written for Linux. However, we currently do not have any publicly available supported drivers for it.

We are very interested in providing support for our products in Linux, though are unsure of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we, or a developer would make.

If you are aware of any potential funding resources, willing developers, or market information we would be very happy to explore them. As far as market information we are looking for specific numbers for what the assistive technology / alternative input device market is for Linux and number of users with special needs on Linux, the same for gaming, as well as overall demand for such devices on Linux.

Until we have a better idea of what the level of demand is or have a developer who steps up and is willing to take the project on and complete it, there will not be publicly available supported drivers for the TrackIR or SmartNAV.

Again if you know of any resources or people we should talk to please let us know.

Best Regards,
Kevin

[ September 09, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Kevin ]
IvanoBulo

Post by IvanoBulo »

Hi!

Is there any changes in plan to support TrackIR 2/3 on Linux?

You might be interested in following information: http://kerneltrap.org/node/7636. The Linux kernel developers are proposing their service in writing driver for absolutely no cost. All you have to provide is a specification for the device and a contact person in your company they could use to consult with.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We are looking into it...
Skinny

Post by Skinny »

Two things need to happen before I can finally ditch windows:
- IL2 network support under wine needs to be fixed
- trackIR needs to be supported.

I'm hopefull the Wine developpers will tackle the first issue in short notice, so it would be very nice if naturalpoint took away the other barrier.

BTW, I'm also quite certain you'd get a positive ROI; first, much of the work could be done by volounteers. Secondly, I'm confident Linux developers will embrace the trackIR for all sorts of applications which would increase your potential market.

As for worrying about IP property and opensourcing the code, let's face it, there is no rocket science involved here. Tracking 3 dots with an IR camera and calculating 6DoF head position is not something no one else could do if they chose to. There are freeware/opensource applications out there that provide similar functionality as TrackIR by facial recognition using a webcam (CamTrack). While I'm no developper, that seems a lot more difficult to do.

I think it would be in your interest to open up your software and device and leverage the skills of opensource developers. And if you're really reluctant to do that, you could always provide a binary driver that provides only the core functionality and some interfaces for OS developers to built upon.