using trackir for fps

camiloteram

using trackir for fps

Post by camiloteram »

im really in need of help since i just got my trackir.

does any one know how to make my track ir better for first person shooters
anything will help
and i hope that trackir can be more shooter friendly
Wayne

Re: using trackir for fps

Post by Wayne »

camiloteram,

If you are using mouse emulation mode (relative) set your "Mouse Override Delay" to zero on the slider on the main screen.

What game are you playing?
camiloteram

Post by camiloteram »

im playing cs and soon cs source
oh feels good saying that ull know what i mean if u play counter strike
any way il try what u said but i think it going to be tricky getting it to be perfect
camiloteram

Post by camiloteram »

i try it but its still too hard to turn around
i can see how autopanning would hep but the problem is that my head some times goes into the autopanning zone without waning to thus my view in game starts going crazy

my thoughts is that the normal trackir is not efficient enought for fps we need a biger viewing space for the trackir. in other words i need more tracking space to move my hand or pointing device to make a complete 360 turn using autopan.
i might make a diagram of what im thinking about after i return from dinner

hope ur interested
brb
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

I suppose that head movements are not precise enough to be used alone for aiming in FPS games.
However, what I had in mind was combining both TIR and a regular mouse - one would be for fast turns and "body" movements, the other one would be for fine aiming. Haven't gotten around to do it though...

I have read several ideas about use of TIR in FPS games and I have to say that I am quite puzzled. Some people suggested that mouse be used as it is now and TIR added for quick head "look around" movements. I think it would be not that useful.

What I would like to see is one controller steering the "body", that is the direction of movement and the other controller directing the "torso", that is the weapon and its crosshairs. I you ever played Mechwarrior, you would know exactly what I mean.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I play Ghost Recon religiously and I use the TrackMapper utillity for the TrackIR. I have a trackball I use for movement so trackIR was out in that regard.

But I use the TrackMapper so that I can crouch, stand, change weapons, and reload all by head movements. Adjust the deadzone so that it is very large (in track mapper) so that you can move your head around a bit without triggering any of the features.

Then, when you want to do a certain command, quickly move your head in that direction and then back to center.

Works like a charm everytime.....

Except when the guy next to you fires all of a sudden and your surround sound EAX cranked WAY up scares the crap out of you and you jump, effectivly causing your guy to switch weapons to the rocket launcher and then you pull the trigger to shoot the guy you bud was aiming at, only to launch a grenade right into the pavement (because when you jumped, not only did you switch weapons but you went to the prone as well) and blow you and your friend to little peices..... whew... talk about a run on sentance!
camiloteram

Post by camiloteram »

well wat im thinking about is instead of using ur inacurate head to aim use a gun MADE for aiming thus u have a trully unique fps controler that moves ur character in game

all i have to do is to make the gun with usb connection and trigger

now the other problem is there is too little space to turn the real gun around

any recomendations for me??

[ August 20, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: camiloteram ]
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Unfortunately, without FPS developer support it's quite useless for competitive online type play.

With developer support it could be useful in a lot of different ways in any game.
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

Brilliant idea! How could I not think about it earlier!

I mean the gun.

First tests are quite promising: I've attached the dot to one of a folding rule. Then I aimed it at the screen in Rogue spear. It works! Not well, of course, but it works.

Aiming is much more natural and accurate, as I am using both hands to aim. Of course, I had no trigger, so I could not really play, but aiming and turning was fun.

I guess it could be done with a toy rifle connected with a torn-apart gamepad. If done commercially, the gun could have more buttons on the grips for other functions.

I suppose walking and turning could be done either with the gun or with feet (even more natural).

Let me think and experiment more...
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Operation Flashpoint is the only FPS with a decent aim/control setup. Add a TrackIR for head control and you have a perfect FPS.

-Outlaw.