Distance of user from TrackIR

CompuWolf

Re: Distance of user from TrackIR

Post by CompuWolf »

I'm new to it all but I sit a arms length from the unit but take about 4 inchs off for the hat.

Oh and ty to Gruntville and Natural Point I won the Pro unit and hat in a contest . It's great so far, will be doing more testing to see how flexable it can be.
Thunderbolt56

Post by Thunderbolt56 »

I have a big monitor and sit slightly farther away than most, but I also have a "boom" extension attached to my hat that closes the distance to whatever I choose.

Looks like about 24" though
JD

Post by JD »

I sit rather close to my monitor about 18 inches.
I'm using the Track3 with the vector expansion as well.
I found that I need to move a little right when looking left in and vis versa in order to keep my dots in the test screen area.
I was wondering if it would be possible to create a clip on wide angle lense to the TrackIR unit to allow you to sit closer?
Another option to simulate the lense maybe would be to make a smaller vector unit that had the reflectors closer together?

[ January 16, 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JD ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Jim.
TIR3Pro+Vector I find they work best at about 30-36" and the sensor 2" above the upper reflector. I have had to mount the Vector on another cap with a flatter bill as the TrackHat was causing a lot of tracking problems with the Vector, even with the TrackHat's reflector covered.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for your feedback on the Vector clip and the user distances. We are working on some new clip ideas and will probably have several different clips that you can choose from in the future.

We can't change the lens on the current unit and we can't make an add-on lens. What we can do is allow you to put 2 units together, on a special mounting base and then that doubles your FOV. Anyone interested in that?

The clip needs to have the reflectors as far apart as possible, to make the system accurate, the closer they are, the less the accuracy.

I think that I will do a poll where people can express if they want more hat based clips or want headset based clips. It is an option that we are considering.

The most important thing to note is that Vector is here to stay, it is the best way to use a TrackIR and we are working hard to get 6DOF put into many games. It is going to be a great year for TrackIR + Vector. We will be furthering this technology for quite some time, so we all have developments to look forward to!
klopsik206

Post by klopsik206 »

Hi,

Im my case arm and the half (100cm).

Two TrackIR units?!
No thanks - too expensive and too many cables...

[ January 22, 2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: klopsik206 ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

I know it would not have the same aesthatic(sp I am tired ) appearence, but I would have though having balls instead of the curve that we have now would increas the accuratcy no end. It should even help with the look down problems that some people are having as there would still be 3 reflectors in view after the point there the edge of the present curves dissapear (from the sensors point of view).

Having a cap based and a headset based mounting would be a good option if it was economically viable. If it was decided not to go ahead with the ball based unit especially for it's aesthetics, it is no worse than having a TIR1 suspended on the end of a ruler stcuk to the top of your monitor, like I had to do to get the distance between sensor and reflector right compaired with comfort.

On a personal note I am glad that the Vector is here to stay, I would intergrate it with the TIR3P for say half the price (or so) of the vector sold seperatly added to the price of the TIR3P.

I would really urge those who can to get the vector even if they are not running any 6DOF games just because of the added stability and accuratcy in tracking that it provides,

I would sugest those who are looking at the Vector to get the TIR3P, just for the difference the added refresh rate that it gives when combined wiht the Vector.

But hey that is just me
trilogy

Post by trilogy »

IF having 2 TRACKir's would increase the accuracy a NOTICABLE amount without a frame hit, AND IF the second TRACKir could be purchased at a discount, then yes, I would do that. But it would have to be demonstrated that it would improve the performance. If it's just to accomodate those people that can't figure out how to get their unit the proper distance away, then I'd rather see your development team work on an idea like I posted here under "further tweaking"