Suggestion for reference dot tracking!

barsk

Suggestion for reference dot tracking!

Post by barsk »

Hello!

I just had the idea that the software could track an extra dot that is placed on top of the head. The idea of this is that the extra dot would give a reference point as to how much your head is turning or nodding.

I find myself a lot of the time moving from side to side when dogfighting etc and trackir interprets that as if I am actually turning my head, which I am not. If the software would have an extra mode of tracking this extra dot on top of my head and use it as a reference point all that bobbing and swaying that my head does would NOT register as turning the head. Only the difference between the track-dot and the reference-dot should count for true changes. I.e when my head moves from side to side, the reference pint moves too but when I am truly turning the head the reference dot is still and the track dot has moved.

If you look in the tracking window of the calibration sofware and use two dots you can see that trackir easily can see both dots, but the software cannot handle it. My suggestion is that the software is upgraded to track that extra reference dot and use to calculate true head turns and nods, and to filter out head swaying.

I think this enhancement would make trackir hugely easier and more intuitive to use. No more need to sit frozen on your chair...

Regards
Kristian J�rg (aka Barsk)
Jim

Re: Suggestion for reference dot tracking!

Post by Jim »

Hello:

You have a wonderful idea! We have a big surprise waiting for our TrackIR 3 users, check back in early December for the answer to your suggestion!
trialuser1002

Post by trialuser1002 »

thats a great idea, Can we have the same feature in smartnav as well.
Right now sitting frozen in one position is causing lot of strain on the neck and causing a back ache as well.
barsk

Post by barsk »

Ok, I am really looking forward for the next version of the software now!

Regards
Kristian (aka Barsk)
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

ssy523

Post by ssy523 »

Dear Barsk

Your idea is wonderful.
You can find similar program named 'headmouse'.

It use many points on user's head

http://nipg.inf.elte.hu/headmouse/headmouse.html

But, It use web camera instead of TrackIR.
Tocca

Post by Tocca »

quote:Originally posted by Jim Richardson:
Hello:

You have a wonderful idea! We have a big surprise waiting for our TrackIR 3 users, check back in early December for the answer to your suggestion! This sounds very interesting... apart from the "Track-IR3 users"!?
I have Track-IR2 :-( Bought it two weeks before Track-IR3 was announced, bummer!