The new, advertised, functions coming later??

Tocca

The new, advertised, functions coming later??

Post by Tocca »

I've read about new things coming for Track-IR3 users, and i'm just wondering what it might be that you can use on a Track-IR3 that can't be done on a Track-IR2?

I really don't have the budget to get a new TIR so soon after spending over $200 on the old one (it was expensive in Sweden when i bought it, it's cheaper now).

Comparing Track-IR3 (nonpro) and Track-IR2, TIR2 has higher fps but a bit lower resolution.
So it must be something that needs a high resolution to work.

If it is totally impossible to implement theese new changes in TIR2, then it's not much to discuss. But i actually find that hard to believe.
Maybe if the functionality that is added could be used on TIR2 but with an added disclaimer... something like:
"The new features might not work as advertised on an older unit, we don't support the use of theese features on other units than TIR3"

Wouldn't that be possible?

I just know that i will be very jelous if theese new features are what i think they are!! And i will be forced to remain jelous for a looong time.... sigh...

Ah well, it's worth a try.
Jim

Re: The new, advertised, functions coming later??

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We have yet to officially announce the new feature set and software for TrackIR 3, but it is coming in December. You are correct, the new software and add-on will only be for TrackIR3.

We will continue to support and update the software for TrackIR2 and the original TrackIR.

There is a technical reason that the new software will only work with the TIR3, it has a different lens to pixel ratio and slightly different effective FOV. Our new software and accessory has to be designed to work with very specific imager requirements, it is in the math and the resolution of the older TrackIR uints along with the lens limitations mean that it just won't work. Obviously, we still think the TrackIR / 2 is a great unit and we stand behind them.

I hope this explanation helps.

[ November 19, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Jim Richardson ]
Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Ok. If there's technical reason that makes it impossible to implement on the older version, then there's not much to do really.

I'll just have to get by without this for the time being. Well, it doesn't hurt to ask...

I think it's great that you develop new functions, adding features and support for games and so on...
I'm not complaining about that!
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

Hello- saw this on a forum and it holds out so much promise i thought it was a hoax.

" just received this in a newsletter from Track IR
In The Not So Distant Future...

Get ready to use your TrackIR in Combat Flight Simulator 3 this Christmas! TrackIR is going to start showing up in tons of games that have never offered view control before, as the holidays roll out.

After Thanksgiving Day we will be releasing an exclusive teaser video for the next step in video game interaction. This will be the biggest leap in immersion since... well... since the TrackIR was first invented! We're all very excited, and you will be too... in just a few short weeks. As November draws to a close, thousands of loyal gamers and simmers are going to be very thankful that they already own a TrackIR 3. So keep your web browsers glued to trackir.com! "

Is it genuine? I am a user of tracKIR 1 and for years it has been the best sim kit I have bought.
I did not buy CFS3 just because I couldn't use trackIR with it- Is that really gonna change?
But my main hope is always to try to find a way for trackir to be used with Red Baron

Let me tell you Jim, that if this message means that Red Baron can have trackir, then you'd better be ready to up your production, 'cos there are a lot of RBers out there!

So what is the situation please?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for checking in with us. Yes, the message is legitimate.

We will be releasing all new software, re-written from the ground up for TrackIR3 users. The new software will allow us to interface directly with CFS3 and perhaps other titles that haven't been supported in the past as well, all based on user demand / requests. In addition, there will be a new accessory that will be released this Christmas for the TrackIR3 that will allow even more functionality, you will be very impressed. So, we have been busy and you will get to enjoy it soon enough!
Black-Rose

Post by Black-Rose »

After Thanksgiving Day we will be releasing an exclusive teaser video for the next step in video game interaction.

When exactly?!
poyungan

Post by poyungan »

quote:Originally posted by Jim Richardson:
Our new software and accessory .Accessory?????Now you have my attention.

I can only guess that it is another camera that will give a binocular capability, and enable zoom and rotational direction in the Z-axis. We will be able to peer around pillars and over the sides of the cockpit

Come on mate; spill the beans! Tell me I am right...Am I warm?...just a little bit? Come on! Give me a hint. Where do I pre-order?

~E!~
Double_Tap
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Well, you are warm.

We shooting for before the end of the month, that is what we can promise for now.

Trust me, we are all working hard!
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

Jim.
Can you clarify re the doubts thrown up in this thread at simHq.please?
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 942#000010

I am going to the flight sim show in UK this weekend, where I am (was) going to buy a TracKIR 3 pro. But not if it is obsolete in view of these forthcoming improvements.
Are they software updates or should i wait for a later unit?

cheers
bhodi49

Post by bhodi49 »

Hi,
I am helping to beta test the new project.
Jim and folks are on the Thanksgiving holiday till Monday.

So I will try to answer for them...I Beta test it on a TIR3Pro...It will be fine...However TI2 units will not...Only TIR3 and TIR3Pro will support the new project.

And it is and will be worth the money, 110% for sure....both the TIR3Pro and the new project add on released later on are worth it.

Hope that helps.
Any other questions?
I'll try to answer till Jim and crew get back.