The new, advertised, functions coming later??

Black-Rose

Re: The new, advertised, functions coming later??

Post by Black-Rose »

quote:Any other questions? YES, What is exactly the new feature and the new addon....!
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

Yes - a repeat of the earlier question, if i may.
Will the new mods be incorporated in a new unit to be marketed soon but not yet sold?
Or, is the new mod an additional piece of gear to be used in conjunction with a trackir 3 Pro.?
Quite simply, do i buy Trackir 3pro now , or wait a little while for a new unit?
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

The new stuff comeing out is a addon to Track Ir 3 and 3 Pro.
AndyHill

Post by AndyHill »

quote:Originally posted by Jim Richardson:

There is a technical reason that the new software will only work with the TIR3, it has a different lens to pixel ratio and slightly different effective FOV. Our new software and accessory has to be designed to work with very specific imager requirements, it is in the math and the resolution of the older TrackIR uints along with the lens limitations mean that it just won't work. Obviously, we still think the TrackIR / 2 is a great unit and we stand behind them.
Ok, let's speculate. Basically Jim just said here that the new gadget will require a very specific platform considering its viewing properties, FPS is not an issue. If we take into consideration arguments about the new feature being revolutionary there's really only one choice; the new feature will add a new dimension to tracking.

Since there's a new gadget involved, it will most likely be more than just dot aspect/movement calculations, which would theoretically be possible with sensitive equipment. An obvious solution would be a more complex "dot" -apparatus that would make tracking 3d movement simpler. There are other ways to do it, I guess, perhaps something more elegant.

Ok what do I win? A TIR 3 + new gadget? Plus an opportunity to alpha/beta test future releases?

To cut the wings off my own speculation I must admit that there are problems with my theory. At least the Il-2 series doesn't support free head movement, only zoom and rotation. About CFS3 and others I don't know. If there's no sim support maybe the testers are working with some demo applications? It is also possible that the new dimension enables us to use the zoom function already present in many simulators.

Two dots at a distance from each other, measure the distance and bingo, you can measure head distance from the unit... Except when you also calculate in rotation of the head. Also, this wouldn't be dependent on FOV and resolution.

I think we'll get a more complex replacement for the dot or some kind of a mirror/lens system. I I remember correctly the TIR 3 has a wider FOW than the previous versions and this has me thinking about the latter option. Ok, speculate away.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I love speculation!

Just to add fuel to the fire:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/video.html
Black-Rose

Post by Black-Rose »

a...w..s..o..m..e

Cmon Jim, say if its compatible with Pacific Fighter....!!

*Sorry for my bad engllish!
AndyHill

Post by AndyHill »

Ok so it wasn't too difficult to guess at least part of it right. Do I still get a prize? Six (or at least five I think on the vid) degrees of freedom I didn't expect. If you can pull it off and still keep it easy to use It'll be amazing.

As far as PF compatibility goes I'm afraid it's probably too much to ask. I'm not sure but there might be some engine limitations that prevent it from happening. However, GET THAT VIDEO TO OLEG NOW. This is what I want far more than any new planes or maps.

[ November 26, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: AndyHill ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Oleg is an interesting character. I told him about 6DOF a while ago and he said that it was good for BoB, so we will see.

For PF, we took it upon ourselves. No promises on the release date, but it looks 98% that PF will be fully 6DOF. Yes, we are good.
bhodi49

Post by bhodi49 »

It is a add on to the TIR3 series...NOT a new hardware add on, as in you having to buy a new TIR unit.

It has some minor hardware pieces, it does not have any mods to the TIR3 series tracking units that the user has to install.

Overall the mod is very easy to install and use...Took me all of 10 Min.
I also was taking notes for Beta testing, so I was slowed down.

This new mod gave me the same WOW as when I first used the TIR1 V1.0 series In the Beta testing of IL-2.

If you own a TIR3 series ALREADY, you may buy it as a add on package.

They will also sell it as a full setup of TIR3 series unit with the new add on as a full package for new buyers.

Do not worry...it is good...Not just good, Great!!!

Cas141, Buy the TIRPro now before the mod release...I know the UK pipeline will empty post Mod Video release next week.
It will refill before Xmas....But it will bump NP sales for sure...and test the overseas sales pipeline for sure.

Us beta testers are a harden lot....We piss and moan about stuff in the software and hardware as a hobby.
Our thread titles on the beta board have been as such.

OH MY GOD!
CFS3 transformed

It is all good...To all TIR owners or new buyers....TIR3 Owners please relax, you're OK.... New buyers. you can Buy now it's fine...No TIR3 owners are going to get screwed up by NP on this add on.

You folks are the people using or intrested in the TIR3 series of product...This add on is a aimed at making your TIR3 a better unit.

Jim trusts that TIR users tell him what they want....He then invests most of this small companies time and money in making that happen....This will pay off, both for NP and for TIR users.
IT'S All Good!!! Really

[ November 26, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: bhodi49 ]
AndyHill

Post by AndyHill »

6DOF is something Il-2 players have been asking for years and I can't speak for the general public, but if you really can pull it off you'll create a storm on the forums. I wonder if that 98% certainty actually includes some kind of tests with actual PF (or rather Il-2SFBAEPPF), since I'm worried about polygon tearing and other such phenomena that were supposed to be a problem for the Il-2 engine a long time ago when someone asked about it. I don't wat to sound negative, this just sounds too good to be true and I've learned a long time ago that it's not a good sign.

I wish there was something I could do to make it happen. Maybe if I build an altar and sacrifice a few webcams?