Can TIR be used with a motion platform?

Duke_TC

Re: Can TIR be used with a motion platform?

Post by Duke_TC »

Vern -

I can't answer your question about the TIR3... but what I wanted to ask you about was the unit that you are going to build... will the plans scale for someone 6'5"?

Duke
Heyvern

Post by Heyvern »

I'm afraid I don't know. I haven't even ordered the plans for it yet. I just liked the concept so much, I'm seriously considering purchasing the plans and making it.

I imagine it could be adjusted for a tall person. It' looks like heavy duty PVC pipe, so perhaps you could just lengthen the tubes a little bit for more room.

Bring up this webpage, scroll down to the pictures, and look at all the variations people have done:

http://www.acesim.com/ready.html

It looks like a relatively clean, functional, and In-Expensive motion platform. But at this point, I don't know anything more about it than what's advertised on the website.

[ February 07, 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Heyvern ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

I'm sure TrackIR could work with something like this.
(and yet, i'm not a programmer. ho hO!)

You'd just want to attach the tracker to the central seat somehow, so that it moves around with you. then your head motion will be accurately captured separate from the motion rigs rolling and such.

Once you have a trackIR moving around, it'll be more likely to pick up unexpected lights and reflections. but. fine tuning to perfection is half the fun of building a crazy rig, yes?

It'd probably be less intrusive if the trackir could me mounted behind you, so that it never interferes with your view. but then it becomes an issue of how close you can get it to the back of your head, so it won't see the bright light of the monitor.

i do hope someone will post pics if they experiment with this! (or feel free to email them to me privately)

... or if anyone buys the manual, i hope they'll describe how well it worked for them.

[ February 07, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
Heyvern

Can TIR be used with a motion platform?

Post by Heyvern »

2 questions. But first, here's a plan for a motion simulator that I would like to build. (See link below)

http://www.acesim.com/plans.html

1) My 1st question is, can Track IR be tweaked to deal with a motion simulator? Meaning if my whole body is moving around, will the Track IR view go haywire, or can the wild horse be tamed to work with a motion platform?

2) My 2nd question is, has anyone at NaturalPoint ever tested TrackIR with a motion platform? (Again, see the link above).

-Vern
San Diego, CA
Drbob

Post by Drbob »

This thing looks cool

But the TrackIR should work.

If you check out the 'ready page' ( http://www.acesim.com/ready.html ) you can scroll to the second one from the bottom, and see a guy who says this:
quote:I have the TrackerIR sensor on top of the monitor so it follows my head movement as I'm moving.There's no info on how well it works, but he installed it and doesn't complain
Heyvern

Post by Heyvern »

quote:Originally posted by Drbob:
This thing looks cool

But the TrackIR should work.

If you check out the 'ready page' ( http://www.acesim.com/ready.html ) you can scroll to the second one from the bottom, and see a guy who says this:
quote:I have the TrackerIR sensor on top of the monitor so it follows my head movement as I'm moving.There's no info on how well it works, but he installed it and doesn't complain Sweet. Thanks guys, that's what I was wondering. The Track IR is very sensitive, so I was thinking that if I'm moving my whole body with this motion simulator, the Track IR might be too hard to control. But if someone did it, then it probably will work ok. I'd just have to really lower the sensitivity of the axis.

If anyone else experiments with this, please let me know how well it works.

-Vern
Duke_TC

Post by Duke_TC »

I purchased the plans and been doing some research on the best way to implement this solution... and hitting all of the websites that everyone has been referencing...

And I thought I was the only geek out there wanting to add an extra touch of realism to my flight sims...

Duke

On to the drawing board...