Mouse-Emulation: WHEN will we get it back?!?

Barred

Re: Mouse-Emulation: WHEN will we get it back?!?

Post by Barred »

Edited as I am not going to take the bait.

No comment after the tirade.

[ February 21, 2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Can you please point me to the post where a NaturalPoint employee makes comments about our removing Mouse Emulation in TIR to only benefit the SmartNAV line? That is not correct and I would like to find out why this has been posted.

Please be aware that we have not changed the product that you purchased at all. If you purchased a TIR3 when the 3.0 drivers were out then it did have Mouse Emulation and we still support that software, new TIR Enhanced titles are added to it all the time. If you purchased a TIR3 when we had version 4 drivers out then it never had Mouse Emulation. The sticky part is that you can't upgrade use Vector with 3.0 drivers, that is an upgrade decision you have to make based on the merits of the product.

Our goal is to have satisfied customers and we do try out best to acheive this. We will be working on a Mouse Emulation application in the near future and hopefully that will solve the problems you have pointed out of using non TIR Enhanced titles.
DonULFonso
Location: near THE Neandert(h)al (Germany for all Homo Sapiens)

Post by DonULFonso »

THX for your reply, Jim. I am looking forward for this mouse-emulation tool, absolutely! One question, if you don't mind, though: will it allow the mouse-emulation to be toggled on/off via a hotkey (which I then could assign to my controller) like it used to be with the 3.x drivers? If yes, then I'll be just as happy as I've been before (and the longest time since buying the TrackIR).

Like I already have said repeatedly: I do love my TrackIR, and I do recommend it whenever I come across a mate still fiddling with a POV-coolie or even worse with the keyboard. Only I'd prefer to see it really maxed out in its use instead of artificially resticted, you know. That's just my 2cts, of course, but you said NP would be interested in their customers opinions, so here's mine.

As for the discussion about SmartNav vs. TrackIR, I'm sorry I don't remember where exactly I've stumbled across it. At the time when I found it it didn't make much sense to me, so I didn't bookmark it. It was only later, what with the statements that we wouldn't get the mouse-emulation back, that the connection started to dawn on me.

[ February 21, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: DonULFonso ]
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

Jim, here is your post:
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 081#000000

If you can not read this (or if this is deleted by destiny), I write it here:

The post is called "Differences Trackir - SmartNav":

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your post, I will try to make things a little clearer.

The first thing is that the upcoming version 4 of the TrackIR software will not feature mouse emulation, instead it focuses on the growing direct TrackIR Enhanced support that is available in new titles.

The SmartNAV is our only product that is intended and best-suited for general purpose computer control.

There are several software features that are exclusive to the SmartNAV package:

*Gravity/snap-to
*The ability to use a switch to click
*The ability to use dwell clicking
*Absolute mouse mode
*SmartNAV will pause while typing

SmartNAV also has the ability to be used with the TrackIR software if you wish to play games with it as well, though the TrackIR will not work with SmartNAV software.

The Vector Expansion is an add-on for the version 4.0 TrackIR software, and can only be used with games and simulations (not cursor control). This means that it will work with a SmartNAV, though it is not free and will need to be purchased separately (the same applies to TrackIR owners).

Note : Your SmartNAV must be have a Serial number higher than 16400 to be used with the version 4.0 TrackIR software.

Hope I have cleared things up for you.

Cheers,
Kevin

[ December 21, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Birch Zimmer ]
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

Offtopic PD:
I have a thread created because my three legs metallic base has been broken (doubling to put in my new tft monitor), and I have no response from any NP administrator.

I can�t demand the replacement of this piece because I bought TrackIR to Edimensional 1 month ago, but surelly Edimensional have not this piece. I doubled the piece with caution (this is the only way to put in a tft monitor), but the metal is hard, and seem to be with poor flexibility. I didn�t do anything bad, because shome photos in your web put the trackIR in the same position, doubling the legs to adapt to tft�s.

SmartIR is ussefull, but can�t place in the desired location of the monitor. If I would have bought in any near shop I would have change the whole piece, but I live in Europe, and has no sense to change because the cost of the shipping (I prefer to think any other solution).

I think the best solution would be a mail with this cheap piece, but something is talking me that better is to think other solution.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

There are drawbacks for using the latest and greatest technology.... sometimes sacrifices must be made for the overall good of the product.