"Dynamic Dead-Zone"?

Rg7

"Dynamic Dead-Zone"?

Post by Rg7 »

Very soon after getting used to TrackIR, I started treating it as another precise mouse using a fast/twitch motion. What I mean by this, is that I turn/twitch my head quickly/spastically to all positions "like a robot", not fluidly/smoothly. By flicking your wrist when using a mouse, you become very quick and precise at input control. This is how I use TrackIR and that is what leads me to my suggestion..

Problem
--------

When using higher and higher sensitivity/speed for a quick response, you begin to have trouble keeping your view still anywhere other then the center point where a dead-zone is not available. This makes your view sway/shake a little too much when not looking at center.

Solution
--------

We have a precision mode that you can turn on/off via hotkey. My idea is to have a sort of "Dynamic Dead-zone" or "Precision Envelope" or "Stable View" where the head cursor speed clamps down from fast to slow (precision mode) when you stop your head movement.

Lets say you choose about 10* degrees of dead-zone for your center point. That covers 5* degrees left of center and 5* degrees right of center. With this new feature, this "dynamic dead-zone" should follow you where ever your head stops.

Example
---------

You turn your head 45* degrees left for 5 seconds. If your head cursor has remained within a 10* degree diameter for X milliseconds, precision mode automatically kicks in (or possibly a completely locked/non-moving view as another option). This would then stabilize your view until you move outside of the 10* degree diameter. At that point, you would regain your previous high sensitivity/speed until the next position your head stops at. And so on..

[color:#FF0000]If this isn't as clear as I hope it is, let me know and maybe I can make something visual (picture/animation/video).[/color]
Seth Steiling

Re: "Dynamic Dead-Zone"?

Post by Seth Steiling »

What you're suggesting is 100% clear, and an excellent idea. We've actually thought of something very similar--a sort of "adaptive smoothing" that ramps up/down depending on the acceleration/deceleration of your head movement. So, something like what you're proposing is already on our task list for consideration. Thanks for the input!
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Rg7

Re: "Dynamic Dead-Zone"?

Post by Rg7 »

Great news.

I would like to add one thing. While I don't know how exactly a feature like this would play out without actually testing it, I can clearly see the need to not only smooth out your view like "precision mode", but to actually freeze it in it's place. I hinted at this in the above post, but I would like to emphasize it's importance.

I suggest this because even the smallest of movements make aliasing more apparent (seeing the jagged edges moving constantly in the 3D environment). If your view was frozen in place temporarily, you would literally have the same effect as using your hand-held mouse to control your head in game (ex. Free-look in the ArmA series). If you want to keep your current head position stable in game, you simply don't move your mouse any further to keep you view completely stable and aliasing free. This would be a great option to such a feature.

Thanks for the response and consideration.