Creating my own mouse emulator using TrackIR

Tsar

Creating my own mouse emulator using TrackIR

Post by Tsar »

First, Thanks for a great product. I've been using it for years without any issues.

I've been thinking up alternative ways to use TrackIR in Armed assault - One way being as an IR-gun that i could aim at the screen.

naturally I took apart some old equipment and built a rough prototype using a guitar stand for a chassis and the trigger mechanism from an xbox pad connected to a wireless mouse all taped together like a boss. (basic functionality - Point and click) and then attached my Vector Pro to the "gun"

While testing i noticed a problem while using the mouse emulator. The mouse cursor doesn't point to wear I aim on the screen. I can see it only uses the yaw and pitch data but that probably isn't enough.

I figured it would probably work if i could write a mouse emulation program where i could calibrate the trackIR to the screen size.

by calibrate to the screen I mean. Aim at one corner press a button then next corner so on so forth until it has the data for all 4 corners and then use the data to figure out where on the screen i'm aiming the trackIR

Is this possible using SDK? I noticed the TrackIR SDK is "Limited to commercial game development"

maybe there's an easier way to go about this. I'm no expert on how TrackIR works.

any information that could help me move forward with this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

TL;DR - TrackIR mouse emulation that detects where I aim at the screen
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Creating my own mouse emulator using TrackIR

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

This is possible, but much more difficult than it would seem. You'd probably need to treat it like a virtual whiteboard and use a laser, at which point you'd be better off using our OptiTrack line of cameras to do this.

It's a neat idea, though.
Tsar

Re: Creating my own mouse emulator using TrackIR

Post by Tsar »

Thanks for the reply, OptiTrack isn't an option unless I figure out how to print money :P

I've found some open source TrackIR stuff and source files for TrackMapper and I've installed Visual Studio so i'll try writing something.