Il-2: 1946: TrackIR software v4 works w/2DOF, v5 fails

sten69

Il-2: 1946: TrackIR software v4 works w/2DOF, v5 fails

Post by sten69 »

Dear forum,

I am running Windows 7/64bit and use it to play IL-2: 1946. My grphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 7970. I have recently acquired a TrackIR 4 and have exclusively used software that I downloaded from naturalpoint.com, ignoring the CD that was in the package.

When I use the device with version 4 of the TrackIR software, it works with IL-2: when I start the game, I get a blue LED, and head movements translate to the view in the game. But I only get 2 DOF!

When I use version 5 of the TrackIR software, the TrackIR software correctly displays all head movements in 6 DOF. But I don't get the blue LED when I start IL-2, and I don't get to control the view with my head!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and drivers several times, and the effect is consistent across reinstalls.

Any ideas what else I could try?

Best,

Sten
jolsonsalem

Re: Il-2: 1946: TrackIR software v4 works w/2DOF, v5 fails

Post by jolsonsalem »

The 2DOF issue in IL-2 is usually related to being in 'gunsight' mode, and I believe the default hotkey to switch that is Shift-F1.

As for TrackIR 5 not detecting IL-2 that is somewhat bizarre since version 4 is. Have you tried clicking on the TrackIR icon at the top left and choosing "Check for game updates"?
sten69

Post by sten69 »

Dear Jeff,

the 2DOF issue was indeed exactly the gunsight mode. I never knew that the Quick Missions on an IL-2 start in this mode, thanks!

I will try to resolve the issue with the TrackIR software version 5 tomorrow.

Thanks again for a speedy reply,

Sten
sten69

Post by sten69 »

Dear Jeff,

it took a bit longer, but I can now confirm that 6DOF now works with IL-2: 1946 and the TrackIR Software version 5.

This completely resolves all my issues, thanks for the support.

Sten
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Great, glad to hear it's working for you! What ended up being the issue with TrackIR 5?
sten69

Post by sten69 »

Hi Jeff,

very sorry to leave you hanging like that, but I just didn't check the forum again when my issues were solved.

To be honest, I have no idea why it suddenly started working. I just tried again and again and finally it worked.

And of course, I wouldn't have checked again if I didn't have a new (and very bizarre issue).

Yesterday, I wanted to make some order in my USB connections, so I moved the TrackIR from one USB 2 port to another USB 2 port. After that, the TrackIR v5 software wouldn't detect the TrackIR camera any more. The software says "Detecting..." and then "No device detected". I have uninstalled the software, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled the latest v5 software and drivers, nothing. The device appears correctly in the Device Manager.

And here's the bizarre thing: out of desperation, I have also installed the latest v4 software, and with that, it works perfectly! I have hence uninstalled both v4 and v5 (and the drivers), reinstalled only v5, nothing. Uninstalled v5 again, reinstalled v4, works. Installed v5 on top of that, nothing.

So now I have two parallel installations: v5 and v4. V4 works, v5 doesn't even detect the device.

Now, I can still fly, but I feel a bit weird since I can imagine that you guys want to get rid of v4 as soon as possible (because maintaining two versions in parallel is a nightmare), so I don't want to rely on some soon-to-be-outdated piece of software.

Any ideas?

Best,

Stephan
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Stephan,

Could you please create a ticket with us at:

help.naturalpoint.com

I would love to remote into your system to find out what could be causing this.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
sten69

Post by sten69 »

Hi Dustin,

I have just created a ticket.

Best regards,

Stephan