Random jumps and stutters when looking down

Hippo123

Random jumps and stutters when looking down

Post by Hippo123 »

After years of trouble-free operation I'm now having an issue I can't resolve. I am using TIR 4 with a vector clip.

Everything is working ok, except when I look I down I get random jumps in pitch. So I look down to around 70 degrees (as shown in the TIR software) and hold my head still, I then get random jumps of up 10 degrees in pitch.

I don't see the problem with any other axis, or when I look to pitch up.

There is no stray light, and at no point does the camera stop seeing all three vector sensors.

I have disabled all other axes so that only the pitch axis is active, and the problem remains.

My TIR is placed on top of a 42" TV, so it's higher relatively than it would be with a more usual monitor set up. I have stuck my vector on top of my headset. The TIR is angled downwards so that in the software the clip is centred in the camera view. I have also bent the vector reflectors up slightly so that they are "face on" to the camera.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
MikeWitham

Re: Random jumps and stutters when looking down

Post by MikeWitham »

Hippo123,

Would you be able to submit a video of this happening? It would be helpful to see the software doing this, if you could get it in both camera and first person display that would be amazing.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Hippo123

Post by Hippo123 »

Hi Mike,

I recorded a video, and although I never would have believed it, the problem was being caused by my inadvertently moving my head!!! It was a very tiny movement, but I guess that its effect is magnified by my head position relative to the camera.

I'll try adjusting the curves to see if I can lessen the effect.

Sorry for wasting your time.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hippo123,

I'm here to help so don't worry about posting here. I'm glad the issue was found quickly before we got into intensive troubleshooting.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager