TIR4 not tracking on new computer

MikeWitham

Re: TIR4 not tracking on new computer

Post by MikeWitham »

Frumpus,

Interesting that it is working on one PC but not the other. Are you running it through the USB hub you have listed or direct to the PC? What are your power management options on your root USB hub? Is the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option selected?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Frumpus

Post by Frumpus »

Thanks for replying, Mike. At first the TIR4 was running fine through my USB hub on the new PC. However, when it stopped working, I checked the hub, and it was quite warm to the touch. I unplugged everything, but after it cooled down, all the other USB devices (eg. the CH Products gear) seemed to work fine through it, on various ports.

As I said, the TIR4 DOES still work on my old laptop. However, it does not work either through the Zonet USB hub, direct into the front-panel USB 2.0 nor the USB 3.0 ports on my new computer case.

BTW, In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on
My Computer, and checked
Properties, then ...
Device Manager, then on the
Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then the
USB Root Hub tab.

The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option WAS checked, so I deselected it.

We'll see if that fixes it.

Nope. I'll try rebooting.
Frumpus

Post by Frumpus »

Nope, and now it won't even work on my old laptop.

I noticed the top/middle light on the TIR4 now has a a very VERY faint red/orange light coming from it. It is very hard to make out, but it immediately goes out when I unplug it from any USB port (same now for both computers).

Is it somehow not getting enough power? I checked the cables, but other than some tight-ish bends near the USB plug, none of the cable is frayed or loose. Is there a way I can test to make sure the unit is functioning correctly via the lights?

Ok, this is weird. I started the software, and plugged in the unit directly into my PC again. It now seems to be tracking fine via the software! ??? I am confused. Should I be starting the software and THEN plugging in the USB cord all the time?

And now I tried it through my USB hub, and it doesn't work again.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Frampus,

The disconnect may be internal. It could be a board failure or the cable not connecting correctly. I'm afraid that without opening it up there is no real way to know.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Frumpus

Post by Frumpus »

Update: It's finally working! I think it just did not like my USB hub - powered or unpowered. So I ended up plugging it in directly to a USB slot on my mobo. Now, no issues (other than some jitteriness that I think is due to my 46" monitor being over 3 feet away from my head).

Thanks for your help!