Much of an improvement over the 3Pro?

Slapp

Much of an improvement over the 3Pro?

Post by Slapp »

Firstly, congratulations on a great looking product!

A few questions please:

1) I would like to know if TrackIR3 Pro owners will notice much of a difference in quality of play(smoothness, better tracking etc) with the TrackIr4?

2) Are the electronics inside of a new design?

3) Will this be the only version in the TrackIR 4 line (non-pro, pro etc)?

4) Are there specific reasons why the TrackIR Pro 4's are going to be selling at a considerably higher price when compared to the TrackIR 3 Pros of past (at least a 30% increase here in UK)?

5) When are they coming to UK?

6) And what are your plans for the TrackIR 5's ?

Many thanks

Marc
Phil_C6

Re: Much of an improvement over the 3Pro?

Post by Phil_C6 »

Hi men
7: Do you think to do a special price for the TIR3Pro users?

Have a good day @+
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for the support!

I believe that the TIR 3 is still a great product, and we are still selling it. The biggest benefit of the 4 is the wider field of view, so you can move around a lot more. The second biggest benefit is the packaging, it fits very nicely on a flat panel monitor now. It also has enhanced resolution and lower latency.

The electronics are all new, basically everything is new, about 1 year of development work.

The big thing for us is making the product easier to use for people new to TrackIR. The 4 comes with Vector, no more dots, so you can get a complete experience right out of the box. The manual is new as well as the quick start guide, hopefully making the product easier to setup. One of the reasons for the price increase is that Vector is included.

The more successful the 4 is, the more users there will be therefore more titles will support TrackIR Enhanced, making everyone happy.

The version 4 software will continue to support TIR 3 and 4.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I think you bring up a good point about what Vector is and how it works with the TrackIR.

Vector was brought out to enable new 6DOF functionality in the TrackIR, this was in response to usablility issues with the device in dot mode, basically that it couldn't tell the difference between translation and rotation.

Vector was sold as an add-on because that made sense at the time, there was an installed base of TIR 3 units that could benefit from the technology. The total price at that time was around $188 for both Vector and the TIR 3, that was the price last Holiday season.

As it became clear that Vector was a success and that it really made the TrackIR a more complete experience, we made the decision to incorporate Vector Technology into all future products. We don't look at TIR 4 as "coming with vector", or having to buy it again separately, we view the TIR 4 as a complete 6DOF solution. It comes with a new clip because that is part of the complete package. At $179.95 it is priced below the TIR 3 and Vector combo, although a Hat is not included, but those are now only $9.95.

I understand where you are coming from completely, I would not want to have to buy the same upgrade again. What we are trying to accomplish is an easy to use 6DOF tracker right out of the box so that more people will find the product easy to use and there will be a broader user base for all of us.

Note: TrackIR 4 does not require you to activate Vector. Simply plug in the unit and it will just work. You can even use your original Vector clip, or one of the new ones, whatever you choose.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Tell me again why I should spend another 200, for trackir4, seems to make the price of gas seem "CHEAP"
BM357_TinMan

Post by BM357_TinMan »

Guys,

The deal is NOW they are offering the Vector/TrackIR as a unit...period.

If you want to upgrade, you have to buy the unit.

If you don't want to upgrade, the product you already have is still being supported by the software and still works as good as it ever did in the games you are playing.

I don't quite understand the hostility toward natural point concerning the release of trackIR 4

Vector WAS an add in
Vector NOW is part of the package.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but I think that natural point is kind of getting a bad rap here for doing little more than continueing to develope their product and offering an improved version to those that are just now buying one or wish to upgrade.

S~
TinMan
Barred

Post by Barred »

quote:Originally posted by BM357_TinMan:
Guys,

The deal is NOW they are offering the Vector/TrackIR as a unit...period.

If you want to upgrade, you have to buy the unit.

If you don't want to upgrade, the product you already have is still being supported by the software and still works as good as it ever did in the games you are playing.

I don't quite understand the hostility toward natural point concerning the release of trackIR 4

Vector WAS an add in
Vector NOW is part of the package.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but I think that natural point is kind of getting a bad rap here for doing little more than continueing to develope their product and offering an improved version to those that are just now buying one or wish to upgrade.

S~
TinManI agree 100%
Combathanger

Post by Combathanger »

I think there are a few reasons some existing customers are feeling less than happy about what we have at the moment.

There are a few issues, one is the high price of the new hardware that magically matches almost perfectly to the previous hardware and software bundle...but now that there is a significant isntall base for the software, we are going to just call the software an integrated part of the package....so thanks for buying it, but NEW purchaser get it free.

Not throwing a bone to you loyal base is short sighted at best. While I would never expect an ultra cheap upgrade path, you can be sure I have a bad taste for not getting a $$$ off certificate for being a current registered user.

I dont know what the proffit margins are, but you have to understand, you charge for a 2 peice set....$X for peice one and $Y for peice two.....upgrade one of the components and claim the other one is now 'included' so the fact you already have it is useless......appropriate or not....I feel like Im being screwed.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello all:

I agree with TinMan.

Remember, we are not forcing anyone to upgrade, we simply offer products for sale and TIR 4 is the most current version. The TIR 3 still performs the same as it did last night, before the TIR 4 announcement and it will be supported by our software.

Please refer to the original pricing of the TIR 3 with Vector, it was $188, the new system is $179, how this is getting the Vector software for "free" I don't get.
Decon

Post by Decon »

Greetings,

I think the negative point here is: When would YOU be pissed.

1. I bought TIR3/VE one week ago and now there's a new better one.

2. I bought TIR3/VE 1 month ago and now there's a new one.

3. I bought TIR3/VE 3 month ago and now there's a new one.

4. I bought TIR3/VE 6 month ago and now there's a new one.

5. I bought TIR3/VE 1 year ago and now there's a new one.

This has been happening in the Video Card business for ages. We all got used to it.

My Opinnion FWIW, I might expect that anyone with proof of purchase within the last 6 months might be offered a trade in. The traded in TIR/VE's could be resold, as is, via NP to recoop any loss and probabaly a profit.

regards,
Decon

[ November 10, 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Decon ]