Upgrade path TR3Pro to Latest

mach_one_man

Re: Upgrade path TR3Pro to Latest

Post by mach_one_man »

Really I would consider Condor Soaring first. I recently bought it and it is much better with the multiplayer ability whereas offline is quite dull. However it doesnt yet have the ability of full 6dof, only the 2dof capabilities. However I hope that they will implement it soon.

Just ordered my Track IR 4 and im new to Track IR in general so I hope its good.

[ November 11, 2005, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: mach_one_man ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Thanks for the link Marco.

As for the clip I can see your point, it cost me about �40. (about $65-70) so yes it is expencive if you just look at the clip. I have had so much more fun since getting it that it has been worth it to me (I know and accept that others might feel differently ) purley on a $/hour of pleasure. I look apone already having a clip as a spair as Vector is not just the clip
Hill

Post by Hill »

Hi Everyone, I've had my TrackIR 3pro w/vector Expansion since Aug. 05. $178 well spent dollars.

This equiptment has added a huge amount of pleasure to Flight Sims. I really must say to all at NaturalPoint 'congradulations' for giving us this flight advancement. There is no way I would ---or could---go back to using a top hat to view while flying. I've been preaching the TrackIR's merits to all who will listen in the Flight Sim. Community (latest; check Aeroworx's B200 Support forum, post titled "unusual Request").

Now, when I saw that a newer, better, more advanced TrackIR 4 was offered I immediately wanted it for its advertised Higher resolution, greater range of movement, etc. I assumed that some upgrade path would be offered to those who had purchased within the last 6 months or so. Not a great discount, but maybe the price paid for the Vector Expansion upgrade.

There have been many really good points pro and con made here by all. I would only add that it would have been an excellent bit of promotional wisdom by NaturalPoint to have offered a small discount as recognition to the recent customers for their undertstandable desire to want the more advanced model. If this new model upgrade had no real improvements and was mostly cosmetic, that would be a different story.

No offence meant to anyone, just the thoughts of a enthusiastic user. And----I guess I could tell 'She who must be obeyed" that the cost of the new TrackIR 4 is tax deductable. It is, isn't it??? Come on, NaturalPoint, Give us old married types at least a crumb, to work with.

Thanks, Hill

[ November 14, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Hill ]
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi Folks.

I have re-read my topic, and am not clear about a few things.

As the �Product Comparison� page (on NP website) says, there are 3 releases:

a) TrackIR 3:Pro
b) TrackIR 3:Pro & Vector Expansion
c) TrackIR 4:Pro

I first bought TrackIR 3:Pro, and at a later stage added �Vector Expansion� which was sold as a software enhancement, ending up with (b) above. In my mind this meant that the Vector Expansion �software� enabled the 6 Axis/degrees, as opposed to the 2 axis supplied by the standard TrackIR 3 Pro unit.

With each TrackIR product, each appears to be solely aimed at new customers. That is to say that they will get a complete package from the start. But what I think I am reading above is why existing customer (such as me) should have to pay for the vector expansion software a second time.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I had not picked up on this aspect either, as my query was totally wrong in the first place.

Part of a reply within my topic was - �When NVIDIA releases a new top of the line video card (6 months after their last one!) no one expects them to give a discount because your existing card is an NVIDIA. It sucks when your big bucks video card is no longer the top of the line anymore, but that's life owning a PC! When you buy pure software packages, you will often find reduced price upgrade offers but I can't think of a hardware product that has ever done this. Manufacturing copies of a hardware product is expensive relative to software alone. Ever gotten a reduced price on a joystick or keyboard or mouse because you already own the same brand?� (I apologise to ZyronEnder, I do not mean to offend by repeating your comments)

Now I have to say that the Vector Expansion was sold (to me at least) exactly as a software upgrade, a part of the advert as follows:

Description: Add-on for Track IR 3 series or later
Requirements: TrackIr 3 or later
Expansion Includes: TrackIR 4 Software, The Vector Clip, 1 Track Hat, Quick start guide, Vector Activation code

What makes TrackIR 3:Pro software different from what is supplied in TrackIR 4:Pro? Does it no longer exist or is built into the hardware some how?

David.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Hi again SR71. I think that the 6DoF drivers are written into the software but with out the 2 codes that came with the Vector addon (when we upgraded) and the license files that we recieved in return the 6DoF would just remain dormant. I see the Vector as a hardware/software upgrade.

One thing that I can see being a benefit with TIR4 is that it needs the Vector clip to work so that there is no chance of using the trackhat and having 4 dots conflicting with each other. The other benifit for me with the TIR4 is the wider FoV as I fond the TIR3 a bit narrow.

I agree the TIR4 looks like it is aimed at new customers to a greater degree and for people like me that find the FoV a bit narroww with 3. As Jim has said TIR3 still works and is a great product (If it is not supported ingame I would always buy the game that is supported if the are out at the same time.)

But in saying the above I can sympathise with those who bought in the last 3 months or so, but as I have said some where else what is NP to do advertise that TIR4 is comming and everyone stops buying TIR untill 4 is released.

Peace
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi Barred.

Yeah sorry, it was me again ;-)

I had to get it clear in my mind as to what VE was doing, and can see that it is purely a software/driver that we purchased. Which kind of contradicts some of the previous comments made already right?

I agree that it makes sense to merge everything into 1 product, and it can only mean good things for the future of TrackIR.

I could go on and question this change, as I think there is a point there for existing customer who already purchased the VE software/drivers. But I think if any benefit were going to happen, it would have done so already, so I am going too gracefully (once again) back down from further comment.

I will remain an avid TrackIR technology follower!

Keep up the excellent works everyone! And please keep the updates coming.

By the way, have NP ever considered making a headset display, like the old VR ones � full immersion and all that? The TrackIR could make that all work right? But maybe NP could create a headset display as part of the range? I had been looking for something in the UK, but finding one (and at a reasonable price) is tough.

David.
Barred

Post by Barred »

quote:Originally posted by sr71_sr71:

By the way, have NP ever considered making a headset display, like the old VR ones � full immersion and all that? The TrackIR could make that all work right? But maybe NP could create a headset display as part of the range? I had been looking for something in the UK, but finding one (and at a reasonable price) is tough.

David.[/QB]Sorry David I honestly see the Vector addon as a hardware/software combination:)

For the above I think it would be well cool if NP entered this field especially if TIR could be intergrated as a component so that it could be unclipped for updates/repairs ect. Where they would win is if the head set could be made as light as possible so that it does not feel as if you have a coulpe of pounds on the top of your nose (I wear glasses as it is )

All the best David I like having conversations so please do not dissapear

:S!
Alex

[ November 13, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Barred ]
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

I was thinking that the current TrackIR hardware could remain, and additonal glasses worn for the display - so still wearing the track hat etc.

I guess the clip could be intergrated, or at least have a special area to clip to the glasses etc. But it might be easier to keep the 2 seperate possibly, as you might then need to sell the display with a clip and/or TrackIR - or maybe a chance there to have a package of all three????

We are already able to setup profiles under the VE software, so should be able to adjust headtracking to cater for the glasses. Left at default (ie less head movement required), the display might make users travel sick So a balance could be found.

I recon all we need is a good resonable resolutioned head display, and we could use TrackIR as it is now. Would be nice to find a head display to try it out, not those 3D stereo things, a true head mounted display.

David.

[ November 13, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: sr71_sr71 ]
livid2

Post by livid2 »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Jim:

As always, we honor a 30 day return period, no questions asked, so if you just bought a TIR 3 and want a 4 then you have that option. .Hi all,

I am from Australia and have JUST purchased the TrackIR3 Pro with VE not more than 48hours ago and have not even opened the packaging! (been a little busy) does the 30 Day MBG apply to us Aussies???

I have not used the TrackIR before but I love FS2004 and had to get it, but seeing as I just bought the unit and now there is a new one I am a little disappointed to say the least (no fault of eDimentional of course).

How would I go about returning/swapping the unit in Australia under 30 day MBG to get the new one if the place I bought it from wont accept it back unless faulty?

oh, and when do you expect delivery to Australia of the new units?

Also, I have a couple questions regarding the new features;

The improved field of view seems good but having used this product, I am not sure what the advantage is in fs2004

What I am not sure of is what is the effect of the increased resolution, how will this practically affect game play?

Thanks all

Carl
AsRock+SD

Post by AsRock+SD »

Well i wish i knew TIR4 was coming out 3 month after i got mine because i would of waited. If any thing they SHOULD let people know like 6 month in advance. Will i get TIR4 No chance the change is not worth it.

Once bitten twice shy. There loss as they would of got more profit if i knew TIR4 was coming out.