Yay it's arrived! Boo it won't install!

[BFs]kaiserb_uk

Yay it's arrived! Boo it won't install!

Post by [BFs]kaiserb_uk »

Hi,

I've just upgraded from TIR2 to TIR4Pro. Before I installed the new software I uninstalled the old v3.13 software using add/remove programs. I then installed the new software with the TIR4 disconnected. When I connect the TIR4, it detects a USB device but does not detect that it's a TrackIR, it then fails to find the drivers (because it doesn't know what the hardware 'is' I assume).

I'm fortunate to have another PC here to try it on - it installed first time and no problems (this PC has never had any version of TIR on it). So the hardware is good. Any ideas?

[ December 21, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: [BFs]kaiserb_uk ]
Barred

Re: Yay it's arrived! Boo it won't install!

Post by Barred »

Hi, can you remove the newr instalation?

You are correct about using "add/remove hardware" for the uninstalation with the unit unplugged and then deleting the directory. It is then a good idea to reboot your PC with a good 30 sconds between restart to make sure there is no residue data in RAM.

Very occasionally the Add/Remove will not fully remove all links from the Regestry so
IF you are comfortable with going into your regestry you could look to see if NaturalPoint is still in the regestry after removing it via Add/Remove and deleting the Dir. That normally solves the problem.
Go into regedit in start/run.
Have a look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Navigate to SOFTWARE.
There might still be a NaturalPoint folder. If you have deleted the old drivers it will be safe to remove NaturalPoint from the Regestry. Reboot. DO NOT REMOVE IT OTHERWISE.

(If you are used to the Regestry sorry for the simplicity and warning but I do not know the level of knowledge of those reading this).

Good Luck
Alex
[BFs]kaiserb_uk

Thanks for the concern - I'm pretty savvy with the windows registry, I don't *think* it's a software issue rather I think it's a USB/drivers issue - it should 'name' the device as soon as it's plugged in, before it looks for drivers. But I don't know if that process accesses the .inf file or is simply a hard-coded id that gets received over USB?

Way back when I got my TIR2 I had more or less the same issue, and the solution (for want of a better word) then was to reinstall windows. I'd rather not have to do the same this time but it's looking likely.

By the by, the mobo is an MSI K8N Neo2 Plat with an nForce3 Ultra chipset/v5.03 drivers.
[BFs]kaiserb_uk

Email sent... *fingers crossed*
[BFs]kaiserb_uk

Working! High fives all round!

Thanks Rick.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Email me with the title "Registry fix needed" and I will send back to you the NPRegFix file used in this case. There was a new version made for the TIR4 and it should do the trick in this case.

rick@naturalpoint.com
strizh

Post by strizh »

I got the exact some problem, though I didnt have any trackir software installed on this computer previously. Could you send me teh fix aswell?

strizhski*at*gmail.com
vschoell

Post by vschoell »

Ooooh guys ,

i�m having too the exactly same problem. seemed something general is wrong ....

usb device not named ...

Here the Log :

Install USB Drivers for 2K/XP
ReInstallUSBDevices loaded setuphlp.DLL :
Error = 0
RegisterDriverINF UpdateDriver4PnP Failed! :
USB\VID_131D&PID_0155 AND C:\Programme\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Drivers\NPUSB3.inf
Error = 183
SetupCopyOEMInfA Called
ReInstallUSBDevices loaded setuphlp.DLL :
Error = 0
RegisterDriverINF UpdateDriver4PnP Failed! :
USB\VID_131D&PID_0156 AND C:\Programme\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Drivers\NPUSB3.inf
Error = 183
SetupCopyOEMInfA Called

i need too the registryfix. please send it to me.

mike dot schoell at t-online dot de

vschoell

[ December 30, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: vschoell ]