Does Track Clips do any better than the Dots?

bad-aries

Does Track Clips do any better than the Dots?

Post by bad-aries »

Hi
I am cosidering to buy the TrackIR. I'd like to ask does Track Clips do any better comparing with the Dots? Anyone has the experience?

You know, it's kind of dull if you show this to your friend with the track clip on your cap, right? But if the performance is really better with the Track Clip, I will need to buy it with the TrackIR.
Barred

Re: Does Track Clips do any better than the Dots?

Post by Barred »

Hi, TIR4 comes with the clip. There is a world of difference when using TIR4 and TIR3 (without the Vector (clip) add on) and there is a difference between the TIR4 and TIR3+Vector.

Untill the Vector was released the TIR used dots and you could look up/down, left and right. This was a breakthrough for sim's as you can imagine but there was something missing. The triganometry of the 3 reflectors in the Vector for TIR3 made up the extra axis of movement that were missing from the original single dot, but it still felt like a bit of an add on (no offence NP ).

With TIR4 the clip is still used but feels totally intergrated, thanks to the new camera. I know that the feeling of intergration is a personal thing, but there are differneces that add up to make the whole thing feel so different.

The idea of having to wear a cap or the clip attached to the top of your headset (I prefere the cap) does sound 'geekey' when describing it and seeing someone else wearing it. This is why I typed the above, because it is down to feeling. That awkward feeling though does dissapear once you have tried the 6DoF that is available because of the clip, let alone the stability offered in games that are only 2DoF, because the camera still uses the 6DoF information.

The experience is worth it if you love your games that use the TIR and then you will start to want those that do not use it (TIR) to become compatable with your TIR. It can make that much of a difference.

I did not mean for this to be a mini review when I started, just my experience f TIR and how much it has changed what I want out of a game. I could have answered with a simple "Yes it is better with the 'clip' and it comes with TIR4." but it would not have helped with the feeling of awkwardness associated with wearing the clip that some people feel or imagine they would feel.

If your main games Bad Aries support TIR then go for it, you will not regret it. I was where you are a few years ago and have never regretted taking the plunge.

Good Luck.

Alex
bad-aries

Post by bad-aries »

Thank you so much Barred. The explaination is very cleared. I think I am going to place the order very soon.

Do you suggest what accessories to buy with the TIR4? I am using a CRT monitor with a center speaker on top of the monitor. Will that be a problem in placing the camera?

Thanks again.
Barred

Post by Barred »

I prefer the visor to a cap because they are not so hot. The new NP caps have a softer flatter peak than the old TrackHat that the new clip works really well with. If you have a comfortable flat is peaked cap I would use that.

Personally I do not like having my centre speaker near my monitor because to be honest I do not trust thier shielding. Having the camera about the level of the top of your head and in the centre is the optimum place for it.

I hope that you have as many years of enjoyment with your TIR as I have had.