Some pre-sales questions

piln

Some pre-sales questions

Post by piln »

Hi all. I'm gearing up to buy a TrackIR 4, and I just wondered if some of you already using them could give me a bit of information before I buy.

Firstly, I could have sworn I'd read somewhere on these forums that mouse emulation mode (for FPS's and the like) is no longer supported, but reading some of the recent threads in this forum, it looks like you guys are still using it. I will still be able to use TIR4 in non-enhanced-mode mouselook games, right?

I'm interested in using this TIR2Joy utility; I notice the most recent version supports 6DOF. I'd appreciate it if someone could give me the lowdown on this utility, as information is hard to come by. Here's what I think it does: it makes the TIR appear as a game controller in Windows, which can then be used in any game that supports joystick/gamepad/whatever. So, with TIR4 and TIR2Joy1.2, I'll have a 6-axis game controller which can be used in any game, not just games that have TIR support?

Somebody please let me know if my assumptions are wrong, because my purchase of a TIR depends on what I can do with TIR2Joy.

The reason I'm asking this is because I often use apps like Pinnacle Game Profiler, which can assign mouse/keystroke profiles to any game controller. So what I would like to do is use TIR2Joy to make my TIR appear as a game controller, then use Pinnacle or something similar to assign keystrokes to the controller's axes - so, in Thief DS for example, I would be able to look around by turning my head, lean left & right by lateral movement and zoom in & out by moving toward and away from the screen.

Will my plan work?
piln

Re: Some pre-sales questions

Post by piln »

anyone?
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Piln,

Sorry for the delay in response, Rick has been out of the office on family business.

Mouse emulation mode is supported for the TrackIR4, you will be able to use TIR4 in non-enhanced games that allow for a mouselook mode.

I am not personally familiar with the TIR2joy utility but have spoken with some people who are and your plan will work.

This is a quote from their website:

"The tir2joy utility will convert mouse movements to movements of a virtual joystick device. It will enable the use of TrackIR in games with joystick look support (like Nascar Racing 2003 and F1 Challenge)."

Thanks for posting and again sorry for the delay in responding.
piln

Post by piln »

Cheers Kevin.

I've been away from the forum for ages, just wanted to say thanks for your reply.