Usage in first person shooters

Frank76NL

Usage in first person shooters

Post by Frank76NL »

Hi,

I want to use the track-IR with vector in first-person-shooters.
Since i do not have a track-IR yet, I would like to know the following:

1.Can I use the horizontal axes (moving side ways and back and forth) to strafe en move back and forth in the game?

1.a And once I lean forward, will the track-IR continue to give the signal forward (and stop when I return to center)?

2. For this to work it must also be possible to use mouse-simulation and at the same time bind horizontal axes with certain keys. Can this be done with track-IR and the software?

3. Can anyone here share their experience experience with aiming in shooters with the track-IR please?

Thank you
rodom

Re: Usage in first person shooters

Post by rodom »

Hello!

There are two things I have used with FPS type games in general.

1. You would use the TIRMouse.EXE program which is a mouse emulator so that you can use your head as a mouse. Sometimes it is hard to aim though with this program.

2. Use a program called TIR2JOY which allows the trackIR to simulator a joystick instead of a mouse. This way you can use head movements and assign them different functions for the game such as Lean left, Lean Right, etc. I prefer this method so that I can still aim accuratly with my mouse.

TIRMouse.EXE comes with the TrackIR software but you will have to download TIR2JOY from the link below.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/04- ... ities.html
Frank76NL

Post by Frank76NL »

Thanks Rick.

Since I am starting to get RSI-pains from gaming and work my plan is to no longer use the mouse for gaming.

So I want to stick the TrackClip to a "rifle" to aim (yaw and pitch) in games and use the x-ax for moving sideways (strafing), use the y-ax for going prone/jump and the z-ax for moving forward and back.

Is this possible at all?

(Gues it depends on these two questions(?):

Can I use both programs/modes at the same time? (TIRMouse.EXE and TrackMapper)

And is it hard to aim because of the program/TIR or because it is hard to do with you head?)

[ February 15, 2006, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Frank76NL ]
rodom

Post by rodom »

You can not use both TIRMouse and TrackMapper at the same time...because you the programs will fight for control depending on how you setup TrackMapper.

You can try your rifle method but I bet it will frustrate you even more as the movement will be amplified and you wont necessarily be able to directly aim with the rifle.

It's hard to aim with your head really.... even more so if it's a game such as counter-strike in most cases only due to the fact is it's a "twitch" game as I like to call it where your reactions need to be quick or you will find yourself dead fast. Not saying it is impossible because we do have a few that use the SmartNav for counter-strike and you can see that video in our SmartNAV section... that guy would beat me in a heartbeat even with using my mouse.

The most you can do is try out what you are thinking of doing and see how it works for you...
LAPIII

Post by LAPIII »

I too want to make a rifle that works with the computer. I have a Wii U, PS3 with Move, and Xbox 30 with Kinect. They're each very fun and great therapy. Please tell me about your rifle.