TIR 4 Won't Shut Off...LOL

nealg

Re: TIR 4 Won't Shut Off...LOL

Post by nealg »

I know Strangely, this behavior never evidenced itself with the TIR2 and software....only since the TIR4.

I am today trying something.....I had added a Saitek USB keyboard a while back, just for the backlighting -- this was while I still had the TIR2. Never experienced any problems, but....?? Today, I put my old PS2 keyboard back on, just to see if it made any difference.

It shouldn't.....but, heck, beats dancing widdershins naked under a full moon in winter as casting spells go. And, I still regard USB as a arcane thing.....so, witchcraft is as good a way to deal with it as anything else.

It will be a while before I know, the way this has gone ; but, it booted up just fine this morning after the change. Won't have time to test anything until tomorrow ( hopefully, unless I have to work OT ).
nealg

Post by nealg »

Ok, well.....it's not really enough to say 'Eureka', but, so far, that last action has seemed to improve things a bit....too early to say 100%, but, several boots and no loss -- and, disabling the unit while booting IL2/PF works again like it did with TIR2.

There is no explanation...except....well, what did I do with that old spell to get that blonde's attention again?

Edit: spoke too soon. Did it ( no lights on boot up ) again this morning. Unplug, replug, it's fine. Only thing left to try is a reinstall, which may not help -- I suspect it may be my USB subsystem at fault. The power comes on when power is applied to the system, but loses it when XP boots. Might also be a service I have disabled, though I haven't touched those since putting this system together.

More like a power issue.....meaning PS or motherboard perhaps. There is no message now....it's just as if it isn't there at all until I unplug and replug. But...if anyone can tell me if the TIR 4 requires certain specific XP services to be on to operate, it would be helpful.

[ March 02, 2006, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Nealg ]
rodom

Post by rodom »

After doing some research on your motherboard. I find several issues with USB devices not being detected. The common suggestion was to try a powered USB hub... have you attempted this yet?

Link 1

Link 2

[ March 02, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Rick ]
nealg

Post by nealg »

Rick -- no, I haven't, but thank you very much for taking the time to do that!!! I do have a powered hub ( 4 port ) which has my 3 CH controllers attached ( and used to have X45 also ). I have one port left, and it might be worth a try....or, I can pick up another powered hub and dedicate it solely for the TIR.

Much appreciated.....and my bad for not researching myself. I inherited this board, so never took the time to research it like I did my previous ones.

I think it best I get another powered hub and try it through that -- will post back if that doesn't work out. Thank you again!

Edit: being impatient -- and obviously a Idiot -- I decided to try this with the one port I have left on my old Linksys powered hub. Welll.....okay, this seems to have cured it. Don't even get the blue flashing LED now. And, all my CH stuff plus the TIR4 seem to co-exist just fine on the hub.

So...I'll crawl into my corner and shut up now. I reckon I should still get another hub...this one is a bit old now ( hint: it isn't USB 2.0 ). Maybe, though, I can save face by finding another problem?

Again, Rick, thank you. I'd have found that myself eventually.....uh huh... sure I would've.

[ March 02, 2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Nealg ]
rodom

Post by rodom »

The reason being is most devices dont pull 280mA-350mA of power from the USB ports.
nealg

Post by nealg »

Update; well, okay, that worked for about a week, but the past 2 days, when I boot my PC for the first time each day, I have to unplug and replug for the unit to be recognized. It's ok after that.

I have a new powered hub to try out tomorrow, will see if that helps. Strange that the TIR is the only USB peripheral that has this problem with my board, but, it also takes the most power ( others are my printer and my 3 CH controllers ). It isn't a major thing, but it does tend to get tiresome.

Consarned USB stuff.....