Is it my imagination....

Coffee999

Is it my imagination....

Post by Coffee999 »

or is Tir4pro having more hardware problems than other versions? It just seems that I'm seeing a lot of post about lights not working, stoppage of operation, more and more "unplug and plug back in".

Mine is due for delivery tomorrow. My third version.

[ March 05, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Coffee999 ]
Markoz

Re: Is it my imagination....

Post by Markoz »

If you are coming into this particular forum, about 99% of what you will see is problems with the TrackIR 4 Pro.

Personally mine has worked perfectly (touches wood) since first receiving it in late Nov '05.

I personally have nothing but praise for the TIR 4 Pro and the staff at Natural Point who do everything possible to solve the problems with it. Including a very good replacement policy if necessary. No personal experience on that front though.

My advice:-

Give it a go. It's worth it.

HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

I've been wondering same thing myself, I bought TIR2 in Nov '03 and fell head-over-heels in love with it, FANTASTIC device But it died of massive hardware failure within 3 weeks, confirmed by NP support - they gave an RMA and sent a new unit.

That one worked fine for 6 months then I got out of flying. Well I've ordered the ULTIMATE SLI rig, custom built, and decided to get back into flying. Got out my TIR2, fired up 3.13 software and all I got was "No Data". No amount of uninstall-reinstall fixed it, and got the same thing installing on my PC at work. Software detects it fine, but in the setupapi.log, it installs as ORIGINAL TIR, and NOT TIR2, think this is the problem.

Anyway I have been desperately trying to enjoy FS9 the last 2 weeks, panning around with the freakin' hat switch and it ain't working

So I bit the bullet and ordered TIR4 this afternoon. There was a Java glitch on the order page and the order didn't take, I called the Sales # and they straightened it out. Much to my suprise, the thing SHIPPED 20 minutes after I called, got a tracking # and everything. Even though sales rep said it'd be a few days before it shipped...

Should have it this Wed. If I have problems, I'll report 'em But I'm hoping and praying THIS one will work a LONG time, cause I can't enjoy flying without TIR I've found...

Markoz, I'm not just "touching" wood, I'm POUNDING it WORK, TIR4, WORK!

[ March 06, 2006, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: HarryLee ]
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

quote:Originally posted by HarryLee:
Markoz, I'm not just "touching" wood, I'm POUNDING it WORK, TIR4, WORK!LMAO. I hope it works like a charm for you and you get as much enjoyment out of it that I do.

With TIR4 and Voice Buddy v3 flight simming is a breeze. It really was worth the money I spent on it (TIR4), $AU271.00 and it only took 5 days to get here in Australia. It shipped 2 days after ordering, even though I was told it'd be 10 days, as it was a pre release order that I made.

Markoz

[ March 07, 2006, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Markoz ]
Coffee999

Post by Coffee999 »

I recieved my 4pro, and it works very very well. Much smoother than the 3pro.

I posted this question a few minutes ago in a new thread, and here too:

Why does the yellow light on the top of the camera unit continue to blink every 5 seconds even though the software isn't loaded.

Thanks
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

Hi coffee999

I answered your other post.

Mark
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

Thanks Markoz, if it works it'll be like a wet dream

When I got the TIR2 I was into LOMAC and FS9 in a BIG way and TIR2 made a difference I can't even begin to describe - in LOMAC suddenly I was able to keep good SA and was blowing #$@**! out of stuff instead of getting it blown out of me, and in FS9 the sightseeing became a JOY, not to mention how easy it was to fly the pattern. Before I'd always "cheat" and just fly straight in, no pattern. Just too much trouble messing with the SLOW panning hat switch (always fly the VC cockpit) trying to get the visual cues I needed. But with the TIR2 just a quick glance out the side and I had everything I needed

And from the day I got it, I WANTED 6 DOF. I knew FS9 could support it, and I KNEW what sort of tracking device would be needed to replace the single dot. I designed one in my head and now NP has done it, almost identical to what I dreamed up 2 years ago

I'm just trying to picture how nice it's gonna be, taxiing my Lago Beech Staggerwing or any other taildragger when I can "look up" over the dash or lean out the side

Ah jeez I hope it will work FIRST time, EVERY time for YEARS this time... crossing my fingers!
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

OK, got my TIR4 delivered to me at work today.

Well I'm disappointed and hurt, I read 8 pages of stickys on the TIR3 forum about all the installation problems people were having with TIR3, to get myself psyched up for what I'd endure.

Sad to say the install went with NO problems and it's working like a champ!

That 6 DOF is something else, jeez I could put my head out the pilot's window of MAAM's Briefing Time and check out what I was flying over! Cool! And the yoke partly blocks the turn & bank indicator, no problem to just lean up & forward a bit and get a clear view

I'm VERY impressed...

Only a few problems with it, one is it seems a bit jerky on my P4 3.06gHz w/1gb rdram and Radeon 9800XT. But I think most of that was my excitement leaning left and right, I was probably getting outside the tracking range. So it would freeze, then start tracking again when I got back in range. Probably just need to learn where the limits are

Second problem, I got airsick as hell! Been over a year since I used TIR and these 4 extra degrees were messing with my head big-time... Solved that by downing a 6-pack, you EXPECT things to spin around then, so it don't bother you

Third, I kind of miss being able to lean left or right to check 6 without turning your head so far. Right now if I wanna check 6 my head is turned so far I'm looking out the corner of my eyes. Just a matter of tweaking the profile of course...

Now I'm just crossing my fingers and POUNDING on wood, hoping it won't stop working in a week like it did for a lot of people that posted here. It's my 3rd TIR and I've heard 3rd time is the charm, just hope that's true!
Barred

Post by Barred »

Hi Harry, I was lucky to get it when it was released. It was a step up for me from TIR3+Vector and I was impressed with the wider FOV and smoothness, no matter how good I thought the TIR3 was the Vector felt like an add on where as with the TIR4 it feels intergrated as one package.

I have not had a problem with the camera yet and some times my system can be on non stop for days.

I really hope that others who come to this forum realise that this is a place that people come to when they do have problems and that it is only a small percentage of actual owners.

On a personal note Harry I hope that you have as much enjoyment with your TIR4 as I have had.
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

Congrats HarryLee on getting your TIR 4 Pro. Glad all is ok with it. As Barred said. Most off the people posting in here have problems. A few of us hanging around in here have no problems at all and are just trying to help and let you see it can work perfectly fine.

Tweaking the profiles will solve the problem of looking through the corner of your eyes. That hurt my eyes big time untill I tweaked the profile.

Enjoy your new toy. Chances are that it will be working fine for you for a long time.

Mark