Question from Possible Customer

InsolenceAndHeresy

Question from Possible Customer

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

If i bought a TrackIR 4 Pro, but the majority of my games was not TrackIR Enhanced, would I still be able to use the thing to 'look around' in game (as in, use it to change where im looking in CoD2 rather than the mouse) in traditional mouselook games?
If yes, how would i do it?

[ March 12, 2006, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: InsolenceAndHeresy ]
HarryLee

Re: Question from Possible Customer

Post by HarryLee »

Far as I know, there is a mouse emulation mode for non-enhanced games. Just tried it out on the desktop, and I can move the mouse cursor with my head, I'm assuming it will work in games with mouselook also.

But not sure why you'd WANT to do that, the mouse is FAR more precise and fast. No prob at all with mouse to put the crosshairs on a kraut's head in COD2 and blow his brains out in a heartbeat.

But with TIR you'd have to look left or right, up or down until your target was centered, then get your HEAD centered and HOLD YOUR HEAD ROCK-STEADY while you fired. I'm thinking if your head twitched even a fraction of an inch, you'd miss...

My experience with the desktop mouse experiment showed that the response is a little slow, and it's easy to overshoot where you want the cursor to be.

Plus if you go past the screen edge, either horizontally or vertically, which you'd have to do in COD2 or other such games to turn 360 degrees, seems like you lose the "centering", i.e. with your head "centered", mouse is in the bottom left corner for example, instead of the center of the screen where it should be. So you'd have to hit the "center" key to get things working right again.

Take this with a grain of salt, I've not used TIR4 for any FPS shooters, maybe I'm missing something

But IMO, TIR was designed for looking around cockpits, whether they be planes or cars. NOT for things that require absolute precision, like blowing the head off a kraut at 200 yds.

HTH!
Barred

Re: Question from Possible Customer

Post by Barred »

Hi, if a game does need to use the mouse emulaor then it really is fit and miss on wether t will work. Take COD2 for eample mouse look works right up to the time you launch it and then COD2 ignores it and reverts back to the real mouse only.

On the other hand it does work with MechWarrior 4 though for that final tuning of the shot the mouse or stick work better than the mouse look.

Even if you have one or two games that will run TIR nativily then it is well worth the money, because the immersion provided by TIR has to be tried to be believed.