TIR4 Losing Connection

Dizz

TIR4 Losing Connection

Post by Dizz »

I recently upgraded from a TIR1 to a TIR4. The change has been dramatic and I'm very pleased with the TIR4 performance.

The problem I'm having is when I shut down my PC. On bringing the system back up again, the PC doesn't recognize the TIR4. I can unplug the device and plug it back in again and it comes right up and works like a champ. I've removed the software, cleared the registry and reinstalled at another USB port, but the same problem persists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dizz

Re: TIR4 Losing Connection

Post by Dizz »

Forgot to mention, I have TrackIR4: 44514 and using the 4.1.028 sw. Thanks.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Are you using a laptop or possibly using a USB hub with your setup?
Dizz

Post by Dizz »

No laptop. I'm using a small hub, but I don't have the unit connected there. I have it connected directly to one of the MOBO usb's.

One more piece of odd information on this install. I noticed with a simple restart on the machine, the TIR4 stays connected fine. Even when I power off the PC for a few minutes, it still recognizes the TIR4 when it comes back up. It's only when I power off over night that it doesn't recognize the TIR4 in the morning. ?????? I've never seen anything quite like it...

[ March 16, 2006, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Dizz ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

That is strange, but I think it might be a case of window not cleaning up and updating when it is closing down, so that the regestry is not being up dated.

It might be worth while posting your syslog when you first boot for the day and again once it is 'seeing' the TIR and you have shut down and restarted imediatly for comparison.
Dizz

Post by Dizz »

Thanks for the reply Barred. I'm not real techno saavy and syslog is new to me. If I understand it correctly, I need a 3rd party daemon to make it work. Correct? If so, do you have a recommendation? Thanks again.
capttrob

Post by capttrob »

I have the same exact problem. However, after reading Barred's post, i think i may know why its happening.

Sometimes when im running out of the house i shut down the pc via the psu switch (i know... tisk tisk) instead of using the shut down method in xp. This may be the times when TrackIR doesnt recognize itself on start up and need to be re-plugged in. I'll have to test this theory, but im pretty sure this is the reason my Track IR4 is intermittent on boot.

Dizz, how do you shut down your pc?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Diz out of intereset give this a try (it might help).

Shut down yout PC for 5 minutes.
Turn on
Run TIR to make sure it is running
Run the stickied RegPatch
Shut down PC
Give it a minute or 2 to let the RAM 'forget'
Turn on
Run TIR

Give that sequence a go and let us know what happens when you run TIR (hopefully it should be OK.)
polecat

Post by polecat »

Problem solved for me!!

I believe in my case part of the issue was multiple previous installs for older devices, that while removed through add/remove were some how still interfering with the new install.

First I called Natural point and spoke to tech support. I was sent a file to check for errors in the installation. I ran it and it found two errors and fixed them. Upon reboot the TrackIR was working fine, However on a cold boot it still always failed to track.

Here is what I did to solve the issue:

Warning!!! It is strongly recommended that you create both a system restore point and back up of the registry before proceeding.

You do this at your own risk!

1: Unplug the TrackIR
2: Uninstall all trackIR software through Add/remove programs.
3:Restart your computer
4:Click Start> Run and type regedit. Click OK.
5: At the top of the registry editor click "edit"
Then "Find".
6: In the "Find What" field type the single word: Naturalpoint
and click "Find Next".

7:Delete each entry (left pane) containing the word Naturalpoint (right pane). Hit F3 after each deletion to move to the next entry. Some keys will produce an error when trying to delete...this is fine just click "OK" to the prompt and move past them by hitting F3 again.

8:Once you have deleted these entries reboot the machine install the latest software and plug the unit back in and wait for detection.

After performing this procedure my trackIR4 now works perfectly every time from a cold boot.

Hope this is helpful. (You may want to make it sticky).

Polecat out

CompTia A+ Network+ certified.

[ March 24, 2006, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: polecat ]
capttrob

Post by capttrob »

quote:Originally posted by capttrob:
I have the same exact problem. However, after reading Barred's post, i think i may know why its happening.

Sometimes when im running out of the house i shut down the pc via the psu switch (i know... tisk tisk) instead of using the shut down method in xp. This may be the times when TrackIR doesnt recognize itself on start up and need to be re-plugged in. I'll have to test this theory, but im pretty sure this is the reason my Track IR4 is intermittent on boot.

Dizz, how do you shut down your pc?Theory tested. If i shut down via XP, TIR4 is recognized on next boot. If i shut down via PSU switch, i will have to unplug/replug in my TIR4 on the next boot for it to work.