Centered View

davj

Centered View

Post by davj »

Hi Guys

Great Product Still working through the settings...

checked the Forum and Pdf file and found no reference to my query

Is there any way to pre determine(Set) exactly what the pre Centred View will be, particularly with regard to pitch angle.

This was the only reference in Manual which I could find;

>>every time the Center Hotkey is pressed it re-defines your current head position as the new center. (How do I influence that view) Trying to look down at instrument panel, so pitch angle is important here.

Have tried Eyepoint in Aircraft Cfg, but this seems of point, because as soon has you move your head this view will change.

Hope some one understands what I mean......

Many thanks

Dave
Barred

Re: Centered View

Post by Barred »

I think I know (or hope I do) what you mean.

What happens is that every time that you press the 'centre' key the software zero's the axis. Think of a cross with say 5 instances from the centre point you would have from Up-Down 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 and from left to right -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. The camera passes the movement of the reflectors to the software and when the centering button is pressed a new 0,0 is forced onto the software.

So say you want to be heads down all the time with the effect of having to look up to see out of the cockpit ingame then what you can do is look up and press centre. then when you are looking straight at the monitor you are looking down in the game and need to physically look up to see out of the 'pit ingame.

Personally I look ahead at a natural and comfrotable position and use that as the centre, then if I want to look down at instruments it is less
disorentating.

At the moment it is not possible to have the ingame straight ahead (the same as you are looking) and to move the perception up and down (like slumping in your seat or straightening your back whilst looking ahead.) If you want that I would pop a post in the sugestions forum.
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

Dave I do believe I know what you mean, and what Barred said is right. I'm guessing what you want is a slightly more head-down angle in the VC when looking straight ahead?

If that's the case, like Barred said, all you need to do is look slightly UP then hit the Center hotkey. Then when you look ahead "normally", you'll have a slight downward pitch angle. The higher up you look when you hit Center, the lower down you'll be looking when you look straight ahead.

I do that all the time, I really like to be able to see more than the top row of instruments when my head's level!

What TIR really needs is EYETRACKING ability as well, so you can quickly glance down without moving your head. NP, how about it? Maybe a surgically-implanted reflector dot in the cornea?

quote:At the moment it is not possible to have the ingame straight ahead (the same as you are looking) and to move the perception up and down (like slumping in your seat or straightening your back whilst looking ahead.) If you want that I would pop a post in the sugestions forum.Barred, not sure I understand that - I fly in one of those office chairs that raises and lowers, and I can just raise my seat if I want a better look over the dash for a VFR landing. Or lower it for a better view of the panel for ILS landing. Works exactly as you'd expect it to in a real plane.

Or if your seat don't raise/lower, you can do the same thing by crouching low in the seat then hit Center, you'll get a higher view when you sit normally. Or, sit on a couple of books, hit Center then when you remove the books you'll have a lower view when looking ahead.

Or were you talking about something else that I'm not getting?
davj

Post by davj »

thanks guys , I'll look at the "looking up " tonight...
Barred

Post by Barred »

Harry, as you say you can either rais and lower your seat (if it is pssible) or stretch your back whilst looking ahead.
What I was trying to explain is that some people like to fly heads down looking at their instruments. Instead of continuosly looking down as in real life, but because the monitor is at eyelevel it can be a strain becausy whilst your head is down your eyes have to roll up to actually see.

If you look up when you centre though and look forward at your monitor afterwards then your head in game will be looking down. This would cause less eye strain.
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

Dave, you're right about the "dead zone" in the pitch axis, I never noticed that until you mentioned it! Guess it's a trade-off but for me anyway it's not too bad, the dead zone is just a LITTLE disconcerting for me and I'm thinking about getting rid of it entirely.

Barred, sorry I totally misunderstood, I thought you were referring to elevation as opposed to pitch, that's what it sounded like to me anyway. Well, I never claimed to be bright

But I'm wondering if you could work around that by setting a non-symmetric pitch curve that would be very sensitive when you look down a *little* and taper off sharply as you look down further. So that you could get your eyes on the panel with your head tipped down only slightly, so you're not rolling your eyes "up" to see out the cockpit.

The more I think about it, the more I believe TIR needs *eyetracking* as well as headtracking. Wouldn't that be awesome? Headtracking for large movements, eyetracking for the small movements such as focusing on a particular instrument. Hmm, maybe TIR6 will have it?

OTOH, eyetracking would probably make me airsick
davj

Post by davj »

Thanks guys

"Barred" suggestion of lifting your head in an attempt to fool Trackir, seems to be ok. This is abit like the last piece in the Jigsaw puzzle.

This does cause another slight problem, that the dead zone in Pitch is above your natural viewpoint. I have initially tended to have a larger dead zone to avoid unwanted head movement.

That's a compromise I'll have to make....

Thanks for the support

Dave