Pre-purchase questions

Lurker

Pre-purchase questions

Post by Lurker »

Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing the trackir 4 but have a few questions....

1) I use FS2004 with a dual screen. The top screen in used for external views and the bottom screen for the instrument display. Can I set up trackir4 so that the top view moves when I move my head but the bottom screen remains static?

2) If I can do the above, can trackir4 be set so that if I can use my mouse to select and turn buttons and switches etc on the bottom screen without interfering with the trackir software etc.

3) In first person shooters can I use my mouse to aim at the target but use trackir to help me peer round corners etc. (i.e. mouse to aim and trackir to look in a specific direction etc.)

4) Does trackir reduce frame rates at all? If so how much in fs2004 etc.

5) Finally, My dual display has the top of my highest monitor slighltly above my head (by about 3 inches). Above this is the top of a cabinet which I cannot move. If I purchased trackir4 it would need to sit on this cabinet. Thus the trackir senseor would be about 5-6inches abnove the top of my head. Would it still detect my movements, or is this too high?

Many thanks in advance.

Lurker
Lurker

Re: Pre-purchase questions

Post by Lurker »

Thank you for taking time to help me.

I'll be ordering this weekend.

Thanks again
david1964

Post by david1964 »

hi ,ive just tried this out and YES you can use top monitor for view and bottom one for the gauges,top view moves as it should and bottom static,i have mine set up side by side with 2 tft 19 inch screens,havent got the hight to put them on top of each other.the mouse is independent to the trackir software so you move your head and controll the mouse as per normal.
YOU have to get one of these,i got mine a couple of months ago and it is the est thing ive bought in years.

I found NO issue with frames,hope this helps you.
david1964

Post by david1964 »

sorry forgot to mention,my trackir is about that hight above my head and it tracks perfectly,my only advise would to try and sit back at least 2-3 feet away from trackir so that you get the best results.
david1964

Post by david1964 »

good luck,tell me what you think of it when you get one.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Although this appears resolved (thanks diddy!), I'd like to chime in an answer your other questions:
3) the way you describe FPS is how we see it. This will be the year for FPS TrackIR support, so more and more games will come out supporting the use you describe (first up : armed assault )

4) Not noticibly. It takes up less than 1% of processor speed on modern computers. basically just applying your profiles/adjustments to the device's 3D input.

5) only 6 inches shouldn't be a problem. It is ideal to have TrackIR level with your Track Clip. You may want to tilt your cap or headset back a bit so that the Track Clip is aimed directly at TrackIR.

That is all. hope this helps
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Thanks for the help.

Ordered my TrackIR and installed it yesterday.

Not really had a chance to use it properly yet, but tried it out with both LOMAC and FS2004.

Very impressed with FS2004 especially.

Will need a bit longer to evaluate it fully, but the early signs are promising.

The unit itself is much smaler than I'd imagined. I'll report more later.