New Hard Drive

Apogee02UK

New Hard Drive

Post by Apogee02UK »

Hi folks,

I'm a big fan of Track IR and use it for IL2, Lock-On and FS9.

However, a wee problem's cropped up with it recently and I can't figure it out.

I just bought an External Hard Drive to increase the storage capacity of my computer. I've transferred My Lock on software onto the new F drive and now my Track IR no longer works.

I get a green light when I turn it on but no joy in the sim itself. I've removed all traces of the Lock On software in the C drive. Is there someway of linking the titles in my C drive program list to the F drive? Is there something else obvious I've missed?

Many thanks in advance,
Markoz

Re: New Hard Drive

Post by Markoz »

Did you copy/transfer the Lock On to your new drive or did you uninstall then reinstall it on your new drive?

If you did the copy/transfer, I'll bet that's why TIR can't "see" it. I would suggest you do the uninstall/reinstall on to your new drive. Then the registry will point everything to the new drive.

Hope that helps.
Apogee02UK

Post by Apogee02UK »

Hello again,

You were quite right. I had just done a copy transfer.

However, I have now done a complete re-install of the program into the 'F' Drive as its called with the same results. Track IR runs fine but not on the Lock On software as it would normally.

Not being very technically minded I'd appreciate any other suggestions
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

Hmmmm.....

I'm not sure but....I wonder if its got to do with the external HDD being a seen as a "removable device". I'm assuming it has a USB connection and therefore can be unplugged and used on other computers.

If that's the case. The Techies here need to give/advise you on a fix.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mark
Apogee02UK

Post by Apogee02UK »

Okay...

Many thanks for the replies. I'll just have to keep on fickering!
rodom

Post by rodom »

Where are you plugging the TrackIR into? If your new drive is taking all the power from the USB bus then the TrackIR will not function.
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Rick:
Where are you plugging the TrackIR into? If your new drive is taking all the power from the USB bus then the TrackIR will not function.I "assumed" the external drive was one of those cases with a notebook HDD in it, like my son has. I didn't think it might be a full size external drive that requires more power.

Apogee02UK

Post by Apogee02UK »

The Track IR was plugged into a USB hub...as was the external drive. I've since experimented with plugging both the Track IR and the drive directly into the USB sockets on the back of the computer with the same results. I've tried other configurations of drive, the device and the USB sockets but to no avail.

The hard drive is a Toshiba 3.5" and as its a plug-in job I assume it powers itself.

rack IR still works beautifully on IL2 and FS9 on the main C drive. I've even got it to work on X-plane. But as the whole plan was to transer these programs over to the new drive also, it rather defeats the purpose if this excellent NaturalPoint device won't work there.

Its a head scratcher...

[ April 21, 2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Apogee02UK ]
Markoz

Post by Markoz »

Sounds to me like adding another internal HDD might have been a better option. Maybe cheaper too.

Sorry I can't think of anything else that might help.

Mark

Apogee02UK

Post by Apogee02UK »

quote:Originally posted by Markoz:
Sounds to me like adding another internal HDD might have been a better option. Maybe cheaper too.
Think you're right. I seem to spend as much time tinkering with my PC as I do using it! Thanks again.

[ April 25, 2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Apogee02UK ]