VC Display Update

Gerabus

VC Display Update

Post by Gerabus »

Just a little update. Didn't realise before as I was to busy watching my panels. This issue is not exclusive, but does the same with all my scenery. Buildings, trees, fences Etc all have this flickering effect. again, it stops when I pause TIR. This has got me beat. Beginning to now suspect a faulty unit.

Gerry
VFS-22_SPaRX

Re: VC Display Update

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Gerabus,

Are you using the Onboard USB ports on that motherboard you have? The Nvidia USB Chipset has been know to not work well with Trackir and other devices as well. There are USB standards that everyone is suposed to use when designing Controllers and Devices, not every manufacturer follows the standards. Sometimes they take shortcuts. Nvidia chipsets have pretty well known to be problematic.

Is FS9 the only Trackir game that you play? If so, do your other games suffer from any issues? If not, try downloading one of the demos for a Trackir Supported game and see if there are any problems with it. I am a beta tester for Natural point, and I did not have any issues with FS9 when testing Trackir4 and its software. Not saying that you are not having a problem, just giving you my experience.

I know this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would look into buying an PCI USB card and trying the Trackir out on that. Onboard USB ports and High Demand USB devices usually just do not play well together. I have purcheased an addon card myself and disabled my usb ports on my motherboard for this very reason. Not because it did not play well with my trackir, but because it would not play well with my CH Products Pro Pedals when I run my SATA Drives.

Hope this helps give you some insite.

SPaRX
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

SPaRX, I read a thread about the Nvidia chipset problems here a while back, worried me somewhat as I had a system with DFI Lanparty Nforce4 SLI mobo on order. When I got the system a couple weeks ago, I had same problem as described by others regarding getting better performance by plugging it into a 2.0 port even though it WAS in a 2.0 port. I solved that problem by leaving it plugged in all the time Apart from that, I've not had a single issue using TIR4 with my Nvidia chipset. My system:

AMD FX-60 @ 2.81gHz
DFI LanParty Nforce4
XFX 7900GTX SLI @ 690mHz
2gb Corsair PC4000 Platinum
Win XP Pro SP2

At any rate despite the "warning" when I plugged it in, TIR4 is working flawlessly

Gerabus:

I can't see your screen of course so I don't know the nature of the flickering you're talking about. But I've seen 2 things with FS9 that MAY be what you're seeing, I don't know really...

1) If I set mipmap quality above the default "4" on my system, ALL the textures, EVERYWHERE, have a "shimmering" effect. You might try reducing mipmap and see if that helps.

2) I don't know what kind of display you're using, I've got a Samsung flat panel. If I fly FS9 with vsync off, I get godawful "ripping" anytime I move my head in the vc. In the 2d pit, or with TIR4 paused while in the vc, the "ripping" effect is not present. Sounds kind of like what you're seeing maybe? You might try enabling vsync and see if that helps. It fixed that particular problem for me.

Hope you get it sorted out!
Gerabus

Post by Gerabus »

Harry,

Activating the VS to force on, on my Nvidia control panel did the job. Thanks mate.Well done

Gerry
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

No prob, glad I could help
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Harry,

Thanks for jumping in here. I totally forgot about Vsync . Vsync off and Trackir is a no-no . You get really bad tearing if you leave vsync off. He kept saying "flickering" so I never thought it might be that. Good show mate.

Gerbus, Glad its working out for you know. Enjoy your Trackir, it will change flight sims for you forever

SPaRX
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

When I got the system a couple weeks ago, I had same problem as described by others regarding getting better performance by plugging it into a 2.0 port even though it WAS in a 2.0 port. I solved that problem by leaving it plugged in all the time Apart from that, I've not had a single issue using TIR4 with my Nvidia chipset.
One of the other beta testers had this problem too Harry. I do not remember what he did to solve the problem. I will ask him when I see him next time and let you know. I am pretty sure that her resolved that with a bois change of some sort.

SPaRX
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Found his post.

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/showflat. ... #Post18858

look at Mad_moses post.

SPaRX
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

Harry,

Thanks for jumping in here. I totally forgot about Vsync . Vsync off and Trackir is a no-no . You get really bad tearing if you leave vsync off. He kept saying "flickering" so I never thought it might be that. Good show mate.
No prob, I'm pretty much useless and on those rare occasions when I can actually contribute something useful that helps someone, I feel almost worthwhile As to why I thought of it, just had an "insight" I guess...

Vsync off + TIR is definately a no-no in FS9, but strangely it works fine in lomac with vsync off (for me anyway). I'm thinking it's just something about FS9 causing the problem.
Gerbus, Glad its working out for you know. Enjoy your Trackir, it will change flight sims for you forever

SPaRX
Gerabus, he's right, TIR will totally spoil you. After a while you won't be able to fly without it. Trust me, my TIR2 died, and I had to quit flying totally until I could afford a TIR4. Just couldn't go back to "Thumb-View" on the hat, and enjoy it
One of the other beta testers had this problem too Harry. I do not remember what he did to solve the problem. I will ask him when I see him next time and let you know. I am pretty sure that her resolved that with a bois change of some sort.
Well like I said, ONLY problem I've had was the warning about plugging into a high-speed port the 1st time I connected it. No probs posting or recognising the TIR4, it works flawlessly. At any rate, the builder of my PC (Kyle Felstein of All American Computers) updated EVERYTHING with the latest stuff (bios, drivers, XP updates) before he shipped it last month. Maybe that's why it's working problem-free?

DH
Gerabus

Post by Gerabus »

Thanks for all your help guys. You're right about the VC experience with TIR4 Pro. I never used my VC when flying, now it's all I use.

I've been getting the same message about the usb 1.1 and all my USB's are 2.0 Gonna have my bios updated. Thanks on that info as well.

Gerry