Powered Hub recommendation for TIR4?

DarkJedi

Powered Hub recommendation for TIR4?

Post by DarkJedi »

I have just got a TrackIR4 and cannot complete the installation as XP cannot detect the device properly to load the drivers (4.1.028).

Since I have a Shuttle SFF machine and know I can't power a 2.5" external HDD from USB alone I am fairly certain that none of the USB ports are supplying it enough juice (I get the flashing blue light but no red lights).

So I think the only option forward for me is to try a powered USB hub. Reading a few customer reviews on some e-tailer sites it would seem that there can be power issues even with these - so - has anyone successfully used TIR4 on powered hub, and if so which one(s)?

Many thanks!

Dan
Eagleman

Re: Powered Hub recommendation for TIR4?

Post by Eagleman »

I would like to know if this would work also. I too am getting the same problems.
I have already sent the S.O.P. stuff to support, awaiting an answer.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We have no recommended USB hubs, but any with their own power supply should function just fine.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Thanks. I've just been into town and bought a Belkin TetraHub powered USB hub (at �25 it was the most expensive 4 porter in the shop ) and can confirm that this hub does not fix the problem. Rats!

It's just giving the dull red light (and flashing blue of course).

A successful 10 minute stress-test showed the hub is powerful enough to power my external laptop hard drive (which the Shuttle USB ports alone aren't able to do).

Do these puppies really need more juice than a hard drive?

Anyway - the New Hardware Wizard spots it is a NaturalPoint TrackIR 4 but always fail to find drivers for the device (even after providing full path to the TrackIR drivers directory etc)

I've tried the NPRegFix and a complete clean install, but still no luck.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Right, well the good news is that I have successfully installed the device on my development laptop (using the Belkin hub) so the issue lies soley with my Shuttle gaming rig.

If I find out what's blocking the installation I shall post it here!
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Well, I promised I'd post back when I had a fix!

I tried all sorts of things - monitoring the installation process with filemonand regmon, disabling the starforce drivers, and even reinstalling the entire usb subsystem to no avail...

In the end (after breaking Windows during one particularly aggressive culling of system drivers! ) I reinstalled XP from scratch - and (unsurprisingly!) that worked.

Not an ideal fix, as I had hoped to find out what software/driver/configuration was blocking the installation - but it is one that works...

What's more, my Shuttle can power it directly from its USB ports as well - powered hub not necessary!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Glad to hear it is working for you. Sometimes you just have to start clean, it's always something to try, as a LAST troubleshooting step.
Muhad

Post by Muhad »

For IR4 to work properly, is a HUB necessary?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Nope, it's just that some USB ports have issues getting an adequate supply of voltage to the TrackIR unit. So we recommend a powered hub, if you are having detection issues, usually after updating motherboard bios, and chipset drivers.
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Does the TrackIR device (all models) have a power spec
on the packaging or website, or a warning against using
USB hubs due to power requirements?

If one does have problems after using an USB hub, and the
TIR4 doesnt work (cursor goes away until TIR4 is unplugged),
does one have to use the registry fix or reinstall the TIR
software/drivers before using a new USB port or powered HUB?

That is to say, does something within WindowsXP have to be
reset before making it work after a failed scenario as
described above didnt work?

Or is it purely just power only that is at the heart of this?