Minor issue on FSX retail with new driver

VincentG

Re: Minor issue on FSX retail with new driver

Post by VincentG »

To turn off the TrackIR in an external views just hit the pause button, F9 on default install settings.

I am currently checking on the viewpoint settings adjustment. You can always make adjustments to your sitting position before recentering the TrackIR.
Haldir

Post by Haldir »

Greetings. I have one other small problem with the new driver I'd like to ask about. Since installing it, the track-ir software has moved the pivot point of my "head" from the center of my cranium where it belongs, to the base of my neck in the tracking gauges. So in FSX this is basically causing my in-game head to lurch upwards towards the roof/canopy when I look down at the gauges, and vice versa. The latest driver release before this beta had the head pivot position correct, ie: in the centre of the head.

btw: this is with a track-ir3 pro and vector expansion.

Hope that can be fixed, or if I'm a dumb noob and have missed a setting somewhere please let me know.

As for the previous poster's issue (sorry to hijack!) I totally agree, hope you can make the implementation just like FS2004's, with the track-ir adjusting to new head position movements given by keyboard command in the sim, instead of overriding them.

OH one other quick thing! I absolutely love the track-ir implementation in Lomac, where forward translation of the head equates to zoom. I surmise it was made that way as Lomac doesn't really have 3d cockpits, but its an awesome way to do it. Any chance that could one day be an option in FSX now that it has a smooth zooming function?

Cheers, and much love to you guys for making the single biggest and affordable stride in FS immersion ever.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I have fowarded on the head rotation issue on to the development team.

As for the seating movement - I am currently talking to Microsoft to see if this is due to the way FSX "talks" with the TrackIR and how priorities are set
within the software.

Some new "features" are going to be there, like the use of Track-IR in 2d-mode. It's the nature of new software, and new ways of doing things gets added, if you don't like the trackir adjusting the view in 2d mode, simply hit the pause button....
grajay

Post by grajay »

I'm just a bit confused about FSX & IR4 - I hope someone can help.

How does the driver get updated please? I've got version 4.1 build 28 but I see there's a 4.1 build 29 alpha 3 which seems to relate to FSX.

Flight Simulator X is shown in my profiles list.

Thanks.
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

Some new "features" are going to be there, like the use of Track-IR in 2d-mode. It's the nature of new software, and new ways of doing things gets added, if you don't like the trackir adjusting the view in 2d mode, simply hit the pause button....
I think this is what I have found, and it amazes me that MS have a talent for going backwards.
I have found that with virtual cockpit or 2d cockpit set to default, that when I switch to 2d cockpit using F1 or whatever, then i get the 2d cockpit but trackir is still working the views !
So, the 2d cockpit is there with the views behind it yawing and pitching as per trackir.
What i have done using my Cougar is have the 2d/virtual cockpit on a toggle and also at the same time switching out trackir when going to 2d and switching it in when going back to virtual. Phew- hope that makes sense.
But what a rigmarole from the cycle S as in FS9.
You suggest folks press F9, but it is a backwards step from FS9.
Were MS so ignorant of trackIR that there was no consultation with you before release of FSX?
It seems that there was none.

Do you find a slight FPS loss in going from 2d to virtual? Is it the trackir drivers being alpha ?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Graham,

You actually need to download and install the latest software to get FSX support. The software installer adds several files to allow FSX to function with the TrackIR.

The new software can be downloaded here.

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... pha.03.exe
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Actaully, Microsoft felt that the consumer might like the ability to adjust the the view with the TrackIR, or any head tracking system, in more than VC mode, hence the ability to use it in 2d and external modes.
Nightflight

Post by Nightflight »

Actaully, Microsoft felt that the consumer might like the ability to adjust the the view with the TrackIR, or any head tracking system, in more than VC mode, hence the ability to use it in 2d and external modes.
It wouldn't be so bad except that moving your head results in an anti-intuitive rotation on screen. Truth be had I prefer flying in FS9 to FSX so far.

Locking the view via F9, while not too terribly difficult is pretty inconvenient when trying to switch views. Fumbling with more than one key at a time is not very fun IMHO.

Unfortunately, the external view issue is probably a microsoft one and I'm not sure us 'head-tracker' customers carry much weight with them so who knows if it will get fixed.

The only other issues I've had do have to do with the new alpha 3 install.

I too see the weird head rotation from a point well below the neck rather than around the center of the head. I also see a case where if you look too far down the head tracker gets stuck such that looking ahead doesn't restore the view. This is true regardless of whether I'm using FS9 or FSX, and in fact appears totally dependent on the angle shown on the left head in the tracker view. Just kinda loses its reference for some reason. Covering up the dots on the hat and then revealing them seems to unstick the view and the head resumes it's proper orientation without having to resort to the f12 key.
nibloi

Post by nibloi »

Well I'm using the Alpha and for some reason the bugs seems to have shaken out.

It's working great for me and I particularly love the extra ability to pan in all views. One question though - in external view the pan seems a bit unintutive since it pans the 'wrong way'. Is there a way to swap the external (Spot plane) view's Left-Right axis without affecting the other views (particularly cockpit)? That way when you turn your haed left you look left not right.

Cheers

Ian
Nightflight

Post by Nightflight »

I hope Microsoft gives us an option to disable it in outside views (or at least the spot and locked spot views). I'm seriously tempted to do all my trackIR flying with FS9 only if this doesn't get fixed by Microsoft. I won't consider parting with my trackIR.

Head trackers have their strengths and weaknesses. The whole concept of using a head tracker rests on the ergonomic suspension of disbelief that turning one's head allows you to look ahead in that direction when in actuality you'll be looking at the monitor out of the corner of your eye.

This works very well for things like cockpits and passenger seats because what you're usually trying to see is either somewhat in front of you or not too uncomfortably off to the side, and then only a temporary glance usually will do.

When viewing from the spot camera I'm usually looking from all sorts of angles including backwards from the front for more than a few seconds (i.e. formation flying). It get's really uncomfortable to look over my shoulder for that long and the view is by necessity jumpy in that area (since I have to exaggerate the angle at the extremes... haven't perfected my exorcist head tracking technique).

I know ya'll just say I can lock the trackIR and use the hat switch but that presents another issue. When I change views from outside to inside and vice versa, it often has to be quick (look out for that mountain!!!). A few extra keys to hit when changing views causes a delay and the momentary disorientation you get inbetween states is kinda jarring IMHO. Just another reminder that I'm flying a computer instead of an aircraft (lol... though you won't normally have external views on the real aircraft either I guess).

FS9 handled the view switching perfectly.

Outside views with head tracking are ok when it's just simulating a virtual passenger seat somewhere fixed relative to the plane's own position (i.e. wingtip views, tail view, gear view on the bigger a/c).

Spot view and locked spot view are anti-intuitive, not only because turning the head results in the wrong direction but because it causes the camera to translate around the plane.

This is a case of the "right tool for the job". The hat button is better at spot view movements and nothing beats the head tracker for look-around ability from a fixed seat (virtual ones outside the plane accepted).

If nothing else, I hope I don't get stuck with this situation after spending $70 just because Microsoft can point to another side and say "see they liked it so we've got nothing to fix". No offense to anyone intended. I think it should be an option, perhaps buried in a .cfg or .ini file somewhere if cost of putting it on an options menu is too great.

Crossing my fingers for a better solution.