True View?

nibloi

True View?

Post by nibloi »

I may have missed something but what is True View?

I can't find anything in the Help pages but it's mentioned in the news bulletin.

What does it do?

Cheers!

Ian
Barred

Re: True View?

Post by Barred »

Hi, originally the movement axis of TIR was roughly at eye level. This made some people feel a bit ill especially at first whilst getting used to it (it is the same view when using the hat for panning in flightsims).

True view has moves these axis to the viewers neck (roughly). So instead of spinning your eye level when you rock your head it now moves in a more natural arc.
nibloi

Post by nibloi »

Ah! Makes sense I guess , thanks Barred,

Ian
Nomad76

Post by Nomad76 »

Are you sure that's all it does? I think I've found it to be a far more elaborate function.

It's also extremely difficult to describe.

Picture it this way. I'll use a flight simulator as an example, because that's what I use, and it makes it easier to assign an arbitrary forwards and backwards direction for the explanation. In normal, non true view mode if you turn your head the translation axis doesn't rotate with it.. meaning if you look 90 degrees to the right (that is so in game your view rotates 90 degrees), then in game it would make sense that sliding your head to the left (relative to your head) would move it towards the front of the cockpit, in game. Instead it moves you to the left side of the plane. The translation axis hasn't rotated to follow the orientation of your head.

Whereas in trueview, somehow they make it all work. I can look almost behind me, out a side window, and then if I move my head to the side (proper in game direction) I peek out over the edge of the window. I spent a while messing with it, trying to figure out how they made it work out.. the off axis translation has got to reset when you straighten your head out, but I can't quite catch it happening.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere, it's just the product of my limited experience with the software so far (I've had it for less than a week). But I just tested it in the software, using the ever so delightful bald head display.. as a side note, has anyone else ever found themselves making faces, trying to get the on screen head to make the same face?
Anyway, I can see the effect happening there too. Make the head look 90 degrees to one side, then move your head straight ahead. With trueview on the head will move straight ahead, head relative. With trueview off the head will move straight ahead, screen relative.. in other words INTO the screen.
Barred

Post by Barred »

The axis is not just moved down to the vertual shoulder but back aswell. That would give the effect that you descrbe about comming into the screen as you turn your head forwards. There was also an axis issue where if you looked so far behind you the axis (ingame) would reverse, this has also been fixed.

If you used the software for a while without the true view turned on then turned it on after a week or so you would see what I mean. As you say it is a difficult to explain an abstract feeling.
steku

Post by steku »

I confirm Nomad76's findings.
The head control when looking left/right/down/up is much more intuitive with True View, even for me who is accustomed to TrackIR with vector from the very momet it was available.
Well done NaturalPoint!
Barred

Post by Barred »

I agree steku True View is like having TIR for the first time all over again. It is that much of a leap again for immersion in game.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is alittle hard to describe, but you all seem to have gotten it pretty good.

Mace2004

Post by Mace2004 »

All, this has been an interesting experience. I've been using TIR4 (4.1.028 software) since July or so with Aces High. With the exception of tailoring the profile TIR has worked great but I've seen several people comment on the rear views and that the translation is backwards. In other words, when looking aft and sliding your head to the left the virtual head moves right but this is not what my system was doing. I had no problems at all, everything was very intuitive and correct relative to what I saw on the monitor, the translations were all correct. Look over my left shoulder and slide my head to the right a bit and I could look right down the side of the plane.

Yesterday, I installed .029 a3. Without going into exhaustive detail I'm experiencing exactly the opposite of what's being explained in this thread (again, I'm flying Aces High). With trueview ON the translation axis DOES NOT move with the view so when looking aft left becomes right and forward becomes back. Of course the problem with looking at 90degrees is also messed up. Move forward and the virtual head moves toward the nose instead of along the line of sight. These are all the problems that Nomad describes very well BUT it occurs with trueview ON, not OFF.

I posted the issue and Vincent was very helpful in suggesting I turn trueview off which I did. The translations are now correct.

Does anyone have any idea why my experience is exactly the opposite of what you're seeing? Maybe this is related to AH? Vincent said that trueview did nothing but correct the translation problems but from what's posted in this thread and the way TIR with .029 acts in the game it looks like it does more. With trueview on (and aside from the translation issue) the movements do seem a little bit more natural but maybe I'm imagining this. I'd like to be able to operate with trueview on but I can't stand the reversed translations...any ideas?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Your view normally though is unchanged?

Moving left-right, up-down is normal?