The need to set up viewpoint in VC

Bruce Upperton

The need to set up viewpoint in VC

Post by Bruce Upperton »

It's becoming increasingly clear that not being able to set up one's view in FSX whilst using Track IR is a real problem, especialy with the emphasis on the Virtual cockpit over the 2D view.

FSD's SenecaV has just been made FSX compatible, but is a real no brainer without the ability to adjust the default viewpoint
And there are many other aircraft coming online for FSX, and many of them will be useless if the viewpoint cannot be adjusted.

This problem only exist when using TrackIR, so surely you can come up with a solution. Seems like Microsoft are really on form with track IR.. spot view disaster and now cripple view in VC mode...

Of course, the only reason that I get upset about this is that it would be unthinkable to use Flight Simulator
without Track IR.

Bruce Upperton
VincentG

Re: The need to set up viewpoint in VC

Post by VincentG »

Dear Bruce,

Unfortunately this is something with the programming of FSX, as opposed to the TrackIR software itself. One thing to try on the view is to "settle" in the seat, before readjusting the center view on the TrackIR, then resume your normal position. This allows you to sit a little higher in the seat, and is what I have to do in some cockpit setups.

As for the use of TrackIR in the other views; this is also set in the way FSX has the views programmed. One thing to do is "pause" the TrackIR software, when not in VC mode, thereby eliminating the TrackIR controlling the view in the other modes.
kenstallings

Post by kenstallings »

I was going to mention this also, but thought the "broken neck" syndrome was more important. However, in FS2004, you could use the eyepoint movement buttons/commands to adjust the level head viewpoint. This allowed you to tweak the optimal setup for each aircraft, as required.

Unfortunately, this feature is not working in FS-X, as any eyepoint commands are canceled out by Track IR 4 going back to the eyepoint defined in the aircraft.cfg file.

I hope this can be overcome.

Ken
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Yes, it has to do with the way that FSX sets camera view point priorities.
kenstallings

Post by kenstallings »

Can it be overcome? If it's a matter of tweaking the FS-X configuration file, I know many people who are savvy enough to do manual edits of the file by putting it in MS Notepad and making the changes.

If you are aware of a solution, please provide it.

Cheers,

Ken
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I know of no way to change this within the .cfg files for FSX.
wollo

Post by wollo »

Bump.

This one is killing me. Any news from anywhere yet?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I haven't come across anything, and it may not be possible to do, because of the way that FSX sets the priorities for view control within the application.