New Trackir pro4 user, small problem, need help

SVoyager

New Trackir pro4 user, small problem, need help

Post by SVoyager »

Hello, ive received my trackir pro4 today and so far, must say that im amazed at how increadibly cool this thing is.

I however have a question. When installing the trackir, i got a windows message saying that this hardware would run better on a highspeed usb port (dont know exactly the words that were said but thats close to it).

This kind of message ive seen before on a computer that has usb 1.1 ports and that hardware that supports usb2.0 is plugged. Thing is, my computer is all usb2.0 ports. I have a wireless usb adapter that requires usb2.0 to work and it works fine. I dont have, half usb1.1 ports and half usb2.0 ports, as far as i know it is all 2.0 ports. Ive tried different ports in different areas with the same results. I actually tried disconnecting my wireless usb adapter to then plug the trackir in its place and the trackir seems to still be going at 1.1 .

The motherboard i have is an asus a8n32 sli deluxe. The trackir is working good so far but i wonder if it would actually work even better if usb2.0 was propedly detected.

Any tips to fix this problem???
VincentG

Re: New Trackir pro4 user, small problem, need help

Post by VincentG »

We have seen this issue come up on some motherboards. It tends to be an issue with either the motherboard bios, or chipset drivers not "talking" properly with the TrackIR unit.

Make sure you are running the latest chipset drivers, and motherboard bios for your system.
SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Hello, thanks for the quick reply.

I had already installed the latest nforce4 drivers from nvidias website some time ago so i removed them compleatly to then install the drivers from asus cd (wich were a bit older) with the same result of trackir not using usb2. I then proceeded to uninstall those drivers and reinstall the latest ones from nvidia again with the same result there too.

As for the bios, i have the latest version available at the moment.

Do you have any other suggestions i could try?? Im used to dealing with the registry if necessary, to manually change things in there, you can also be technical in your reply.

thx again
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Take a look at the following link, there is some older info here, but also some goof d tips for USB as well.

http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Hmm, went tru the website and while there was useful info, didnt found much that could help me...

What are the benefits the trackir gets with usb2? (bigger bandwith of course but does that mean it processes the info faster (faster response of head movements) or it gets more accurate or something else??).

My computer is due for a format at some point, i was not expecting it just now but might as well expedite that. Will try it on a second computer first tho to see if another one has the same problem or not.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

USB 2.0 allows for faster transfer.
SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Hello again, i tried my trackir on my laptop wich is running vista. Vista is not crying about it running at usb1.1 speeds (i dont know if vista does it or not).

Anyways, when i check wich usb hub the trackir is plugged into, it says 1.1 again. Here is a screenshot to confirm what i mean.

You will see that the trackir4 is listed on the usb1.1 hub, check the name in the red box, you wont see any "ROOT_HUB20..." You will only see "ROOT_HUB...", however if you compare the other one wich has my tv tuner plugged into, you will see ROOT_HUB20, wich makes me think that this is the usb2.0 and the other one is usb1.1 .

The different hubs doesnt seem to be physical hubs but rather some sort of emulation or something where 1.1 devices must be listed on a different hub than 2.0 devices from my understanding of this. While they use the same plug, the os differenciate 1.1 devices via those "software or emulated" hubs. Not quite sure if my understanding is correct but anyways, in my main desktop system wich runs XP, it shows the exact same symptoms however XP does warn me about 1.1 speeds.

(i do have also tried unplugging the tuner and plugging the trackir in its place, trackir still stays on the 1.1 hub.)

Screenshot:
www.svoyager.com/files/nogo.jpg

Any clues???
SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

oh and one more thing. I have a bunch of usb2 cables and when i compare it to the one from the trackir, i find the trackir's cable to be quite thin compared to all those usb2 cables that i have.
hamselv

Post by hamselv »

I however have a question. When installing the trackir, i got a windows message saying that this hardware would run better on a highspeed usb port (dont know exactly the words that were said but thats close to it).

This kind of message ive seen before on a computer that has usb 1.1 ports and that hardware that supports usb2.0 is plugged. Thing is, my computer is all usb2.0 ports. I have a wireless usb adapter that requires usb2.0 to work and it works fine. I dont have, half usb1.1 ports and half usb2.0 ports, as far as i know it is all 2.0 ports. Ive tried different ports in different areas with the same results. I actually tried disconnecting my wireless usb adapter to then plug the trackir in its place and the trackir seems to still be going at 1.1 .

The motherboard i have is an asus a8n32 sli deluxe. The trackir is working good so far but i wonder if it would actually work even better if usb2.0 was propedly detected.

Any tips to fix this problem???
I have the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and have found out that for some unknown reason WindowsXP Pro will automatically install the USB2 drivers with the transfer rate limited to USB1 speed. I have only used the WinXP drivers, as I'm supposed to. What I have done to cure the problem is that I used WinXP's Device Manager to uninstall the drivers that WinXP Pro installed. Then reboot, and when WinXP restarts, it will look for, and find the USB2 drivers - and install them as USB2 drivers with correct speed.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Good tip, thanks for the input.