Question about reflector clip

WWSpinDry

Question about reflector clip

Post by WWSpinDry »

Is the TIR4 software tied to the relative spacing of the three reflectors as provided on the included clip? That is to say, would it be possible to, for example, place three reflective zones on an actual flight helmet, zero the software with the wearer in position, and have it track head movements properly, even if the reflective zones weren't spaced the same as the clip reflectors?

Might seem like an odd question, but this came up at work today and I had no clue what the answer might be.

Thanks!
VincentG

Re: Question about reflector clip

Post by VincentG »

The software math is tied to the relative spacing between the 3 reflectors. The software can behave erratically if the "math" is off between the 3 points.
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

I would say you couldn't do that when dealing with 6DOF. The software must know the reflector orentation and distance between each reflector. This is why you must specify in the software wether you are using a vectorclip or trackclippro. Even though they both have 3 lights, they are oriented differently.

I believe the farther you get from what the software expects, the more unusual the response.

You might have better luck switching to dot tracking mode and just using the 2DOF, or find some way of attaching the vector clip to the helmet.
WWSpinDry

Post by WWSpinDry »

Thanks; that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. We were talking about TIR applications in military command & control sim environments (I do research in that area) and one of my co-workers questioned whether we'd need an actual track clip. I couldn't give a definitive answer.

Cheers!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

OK...