Cannot Install software

martinlest

Cannot Install software

Post by martinlest »

Just got TrackIR4 and have installed the software from the CD-ROM. All seemed OK. Restarted PC. When I plug in the device the New Hardware Wizard starts and I go through the usual steps, but at the end I get a message that the hardware cannot be installed ("the system cannot find the file specified"). I then tried pointing the installation to the drivers folder, as just set up, but the same error. The Hardware Wizard repeats until I unplug the TrackIR.

Not an encouraging start! I can only find references in the forum to USB not detected, but nothing relating to this problem. So what do I do now? I use XP Home ...

Thanks,

M.
martinlest

Re: Cannot Install software

Post by martinlest »

I didn't connect TrackIR before installing the software, but tried the steps on p. 34 of the manual anyway - to no avail. The hardware refuses to install. The 'Cannot Install this Hardware' window doesn't say which 'file specified' cannot be found so I can't look for it manually. In the TrackIR4/drivers folder I have three files: npusb64.sys, npusb.sys and npisb3.inf

I used the latest setup.exe from the website but have come to a dead end.

Hope someone at Naturalpoint can get this sorted for me ASAP: at the moment I have a rather expensive white elephant on my PC desk!

Thanks,

M.
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Tried installing the TrackIR hardware after first cancelling all my startup items using System Config and rebooting. Now the hardware installed OK and things appear to work as they should (so far!). Must be something already installed that TrackIR doesn't like; can't think what. Any known issues?

Martin
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Obviously, being a Sunday, I am posting to myself today only!

Software and hardware all installed now with no error messages, but all I get on the device is a flashing blue LED - the trackclippro and the main unit don't seem to be communicating at all. I've uninstalled, reinstalled - the whole thing seems dead. Maybe I've got a faulty device??

M
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

Obviously, being a Sunday, I am posting to myself today only!
That, and the fact that all your posts are between 3:00AM and 7:00AM Central US time (I believe that's 1:00AM-5:00AM at NaturalPointHQ).

Try to be patient.
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

"Obviously, being a Sunday, I am posting to myself today only!"

That wasn't meant as an impatient comment at all, just a realisation that it might be a while before I got a response - that's the problem with posting online, all nuance lost! Should have added a smiley!!

Just as an update - I get a constant green light on the camera now (though I have to keep re-plugging it into the USB to get it to work (probably USB's fault) and but no other response at all: the tracking window is a blank grey square with a 'settings' tab (no screen or dots) and in 'mirror' the heads are also 'dead'.

Reinstalled a dozen times now. Given up until I get advice.

Thanks!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

OK, lets see what we can see........

Have you tried the device on another system?

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub?

Have you tried isolating the device on the USB ports?

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.

What type of System? Home-built or manufactured (dell, hp, etc.)?

Motherboard, if known?
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

HI. ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS BELOW. THANKS!

MARTIN
------------------

Have you tried the device on another system? YES. SAME PROBLEM AS ON FIRST SYSTEM: I GET A GREEN LIGHT ON THE CAMERA (BUT ONLY IF I UNPLUG IT AND THEN PLUG IT BACK INTO THE USB EACH TIME AFTER STARTING THE TRACKIR SOFTWARE. IS THAT NORMAL?) AND THE TRACK CLIP PRO HAS 3 FAINT RED LIGHTS. BUT THE CAMERA DOESN'T PICK ANYTHING UP FROM THE CLIP PRO. I SWITCHED PROFILE TO TRACK CLIP PRO. NO CHANGE.

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub? NO HUB INSTALLED, PLUG DIRECT TO SYSTEMS

Have you tried isolating the device on the USB ports? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS?? USB PORTS WORK FINE WITH OTHER HARDWARE, SUCH AS JOYSTICK.

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports? YES. WITH OR WITHOUT THIS FEATURE ENABLED, NO PROGRESS

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.

What type of System? Home-built or manufactured (dell, hp, etc.)? ONE SYSTEM DELL INSPIRON GAMING LAPTOP (XPS GEN2); OTHER EVESHAM PC SYSTEM (UK MANUFACTURED).

Motherboard, if known? DELL PROPRIETARY. EVESHAM: ASUS A7N8

I STILL GET A GREY, COMPLETELY BLANK WINDOW WHEN I OPEN 'TRACKING'. HEADS WINDOW - NO MOVEMENT IN 'MIRROR'.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Have you updated the latest motherboard bios, and chipset drivers for the system?
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Yes, all already latest available