Head Movement

toktiny

Head Movement

Post by toktiny »

Hi there,

I am useing TrackIR 4 with Vector Support in FSX + SP1 and enjoying it imensely. The only part I dont seem to be able to control is the head movement. What I mean by this is that when I move my head left or right the view on screen moves too fast alltogether which makes it difficult for a good picture. Now I have tried to slow down my head movement to as slow as possable but find you have to barely move your head and it still moves just too fast.

What I was wondering is there any way that you can confine the TrackIR to move left or right at a designated speed even if you move your head a bit faster than is required? In other words if X is the center view and you move your head to Y which is a left view that the TrackIR will move the view to the left Y position at an acceptable rate.

Very thankful for any help with this.
Catch22

Re: Head Movement

Post by Catch22 »

Yes... easily.

You can even set specific settings for different games. Each game gets it's settings from one of the available profiles in the TrackIR software. You can edit these profiles or even create new ones to set the rate that your virtual head turns in relation to your real head.

You can also set three hotkeys to center, pause, and precision mode. Center sets your current head location as "centered" which will help you to relax your head position if it gets uncomfortable. Pause disables the TrackIR imput, and Precision increases the amount of smoothness added to the virtual head's movement.

Precision mode causes the virtual head to turn slowly and is useful if you are trying to track something and the view is shakey.

Read the section of the manual about the TrackIR software. It has details about editing your profiles.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06- ... index.html
toktiny

Post by toktiny »

Many thanks for your reply.You put your finger on what I am looking for when you say "...set the rate that your virtual head turns in relation to your real head" My Virtual head is turning too fast.I know one could say well "move your own head slower" but I am afraid that even my slightest head movement is moving the virtual head far too fast and makes it very uncomfortable to watch.

On the recommendations which you made plus having studied the manual carefully their seems to be Six options for adjustment as follows : LINEAR - SMOOTH - AGRESSIVE - DEAD ZONE -PROGRESSIVE - CUSTOM. I am afraid I cold not find any PRECISION MODE which you suggested would slow down the virtual head movement.

I have spent hours adjusting all of the available options mentioned above and I am afraid with little success, I cant seem to be able to come up with the winning combination of settings to slow down the virtual head movement.

Parhaps you would let me know where I could find the PRECISION MODE which may be the answer. Alternatively if I knew which of the above adjustments should be used and to what extent I would be very much obliged. The only one thing that I am trying to achieve is to slow down the virtual head movement,nothing else as I am very happy with TrackIR's performance overall.

Again my sincere thanks for any help.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The precision mode, is not a profile setting, but a default setting that you enable by pressing F7/F8, depending on the profile you are currently using.

So if you select the custom setting, and adjust the curve to 1 for all data points, it is still to fast?
toktiny

Post by toktiny »

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply which has really sorted out 80% of my problem ,the other 20% I put down to being age related !!

I have now appropriatly reduced the speed of movement of the virtual head to an acceptable level ( not quite down to a fixed 1 but the yaw is now 1-5 and the pitch is 1-12 ) and this has reduced the speed of the movement tremendously which makes it far less strain.

One small thing which I am not sure about is the hotkey that controls the Precision Mode,which in my case is F7. You are given two options "TOGGLE" and "LOCK" to control it. With my other hotkeys i.e CENTER and PAUSE I control them from my yoke and it is just a matter of hitting the appropriate button to operate them.My question is, do you press F7 once to bring the Precision Mode into effect and press it again to remove it or if you put the option in "Lock" is it automatically on when you start TrackIR ? The reason I am asking this is that it is difficult to know whether you have it on or not which is not like the other hotkeys where you see an immediate response.

Many thanks for your help which has made TrackIR even more pleasure to use.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You should have 3 options, for the Hot Keys selection, under Precision.

Enable - Allows you to have the ability to turn it off/on

Toggle - When select enables or disables the mode, until the button is pressed again. If you have this unchecked, you need to hold the button down, to get Precision mode.

Trap - When selected, only allows the key to be used for the TrackIR software.
toktiny

Post by toktiny »

Vincent

My sincere thanks for your information which sorts everything out for me. Keep up the great help that you provide for the sim community.

Regards
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

No issues, glad to help out....