Crash and reboot on installation

Tshikwara

Crash and reboot on installation

Post by Tshikwara »

I have just tried to install the TrackIR on my computer, and have installed the software, then connected the hardware. Windows XP recognises a new device, and asks to install the drivers. I allow it to look automatically, then it proceeds to install drivers, gives the warning about not being signed by microsoft, I click proceed anyway, it then gets to installing npub.sys, then crashes immediately to reboot the system. This has happened about a dozen times.

I am running windows XP, Fully up to date with SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual, 2.61Ghz. I have connected to USB hub, with own power supply to the hub, with firewalls and Nortons antivirus disabled.

I have had similar problems before when trying to install a scanner driver that didnt have microsoft signatures, but that time it didn't crash and reboot, it simply never worked.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Barred

Re: Crash and reboot on installation

Post by Barred »

Hi Mike.
Have you tried to connect your TIR on a USB port on your PC and not a hub (powered or not?)

One thing to remember about HUB's is that every divice plugged into it are sending data to the USB port that your hub is plugged into. There is only so much data a hub can take without data drop outs. I keep my Direct ports for high data devices and a hub for low data like software keys.

I hope this helps and welcome to the world of TIR.
Tshikwara

Post by Tshikwara »

Barred
Thanks heaps, that fixed it immediately. I had read some of the previous posts, and thought the problem was about not powering your hubs, so when I was doing that, I couldn't work out why it wouldn't behave.
I was so happy, I went into Flight Sim X, and cracked the Redbull time limit to 2min 18seconds on my 4th attempt.
I can't thank you enough.
cheers
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Coolio, sounds like Barred got it working fine for you.

Enjoy!