How do I overcome the lateral limitation?

skullxbones

How do I overcome the lateral limitation?

Post by skullxbones »

When I open the TrackIR profile and watch the moving heads, there seems to be a limit on lateral left/right movement (x axis I think). Is there any way to increase this?

In FSX, if I'm sitting in the pilot seat and want to slide over to the copilot area, it always seems to stop at the center of the aircraft.
VincentG

Re: How do I overcome the lateral limitation?

Post by VincentG »

[quote=skullxbones]When I open the TrackIR profile and watch the moving heads, there seems to be a limit on lateral left/right movement (x axis I think). Is there any way to increase this?

In FSX, if I'm sitting in the pilot seat and want to slide over to the copilot area, it always seems to stop at the center of the aircraft. [/quote]

Well you can try a few things...

1 - Try increasing the response curve, for the x axis.

2 - If it is a linmit of the aircraft, you can try adjusting the cfg file, within the gaming application.
skullxbones

Post by skullxbones »

I don't think it's an aircraft limitation because without TrackIR, you can move clear across the cockpit. Try it with any aircraft, you usually can't slide to the left more than about mid point or less in the cockpit.

I already have my response curve end points at the top.

It looks to me like the TrackIR software is limiting the lateral movement. If you turn on the moving heads when you edit the X profile, you see the head stops after a limited amount of movement, no matter how much you edit the response curve.

Is there some way to take out this limit so the head will go off screen?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It would be a limitation of the gaming application, the TrackIR software itself doesn't limit, or place a stop on the range of movement. movement odf the seat is set by the cfg file for each aircraft, and can be adjusted within the cfg file.

As far as the curve goes, do you have the center points moved up as well?
skullxbones

Post by skullxbones »

I've tinkered with aircraft.cfg files a lot, but I haven't noticed anything that set seat movement, can you post the line that controls it.

I put all the curve points all the way to the top, and it didn't make any difference, the lateral movement still stops in the middle of the cockpit. It just gets there quicker.

When you click the edit button in the TrackIR software, then check the 'heads' box, if you watch the head in the right window, it only moves a short distance laterally and then stops even if you continue moving the TrackIR on your head in the same laterally direction.

None of the other axis do this, they all seem to be limited only by the TrackIR's ability to sense the signal from the headgear. But the X axis stops, even though I am in range of the sensor and can still moving laterally.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Very strange, and you have a clean install of the software?
skullxbones

Post by skullxbones »

Reinstalled it but still notice the same thing.

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, can you try this please.

Start FSX, choose the C172. Go to Virtual cockpit, center your TrackIR. Now keep looking straight ahead, don't look to the side. Now slide your head to the right, while still looking straight ahead. You will noticed that your virtual head movement stops in the center of the cockpit, at the radio stack. That's the limitation I am talking about.

This also happens in both games that shipped with TrackIR, Rfactor and Battle of Britain.

Also, try this. Start TrackIR software, go to profile tab, click the edit button. Now check all three boxes, heads, gauges, tracking. Center your TrackIR, now keeping your sight line straight ahead, slide your head to the right, and watch the heads window. You will see the virtual head on the right side stop, but in the Tracking window, the sensor is still seeing the three green dots moving sideways.

So it looks like something in TrackIR is limiting the sideways movement.

Is there any way to increase the sideways (X Axis) distance before it reaches the stopping point? Changing the curve points won't do it, that only speeds up the movement until it hits the same stopping point.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

If there is a limitation within the system for lateral movement, then it isn't something that can be adjusted by the end user......

I will run it by the development team.....
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It also could be a limitation that the game developers have implemented within their applications.
skullxbones

Post by skullxbones »

Ok, thanks, can you post here when you get an answer.

There doesn't seem to be any limitation in FSX. You can use your keys to move sideways along the X Axis all the across the cockpit and out the doors if you want.