TrackIR for Radiology?

DrMaestro

TrackIR for Radiology?

Post by DrMaestro »

Hi,

I am a radiologist and also a computer enthusiast.I've recently bought trackIR for flight simulations. Head tracking is a wonderful idea for this kind of game. I had an idea while using the hardware (I am sure I am not the first person to have this idea): My main duty at our institution is mammography (breast x-rays). Conventional mammography (with hardcopy films) is read by radiologists in front of negatoscopes (light boxes). You have to come very close to the film to view subtle changes or get back to view differences between two breasts; also you have to move your head in 4 different directions (up, down, left and right) to examine different portions of the film. If you use digital mammography, you don't need films, every action is performed on a workstation with special monitors (grayscale, very high resolution). You have to use the mouse for navigation. You have to choose different icons to pan or to zoom in and out. This process can be time consuming and is not ideal. My idea,or question is about trackIR's possible use in this kind of job. You get closer to the monitor and this portion is zoomed in, also you can move your head around to view different areas. I understand that TrackIR is designed mainly for games, but this area could be an important area of research and has the potential to be published in a major scientific radiologic publication. I'd like to know NaturalPoint's point of view on this subject and I am willing to design or participate in such a study.
Thanks...
VincentG

Re: TrackIR for Radiology?

Post by VincentG »

I can see what we can do.......

Do you have a specific software vendor that we can contact?
DrMaestro

Post by DrMaestro »

Hi,

We use two different softwares. One is programmed by Ramsoft. I've contacted their representative (Mr. Tamer Belir)in my country and he thinks very positively about the idea. He asked me to give you his contact information and he also told me that he would get in touch with their R&D department. Between March 6-12 there will be a radiology congress in Vienna (European Congress of Radiology - ECR). As I have an oral presentation I'll be there. I'll have my laptop with me. Also, Ramsoft's representatives will be there. Mr. Belir asked me if I could demonstrate the device to their manager, so I think I'll get TrackIR and a few games with me to show them the device in use.

Thank you very much for your interest

The e-mail is as follows: xxxxx@xxxxx.com
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The development team has the information, and should be able to contact them, when they return from GDC.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Quick note, DrMaestro.
We just fired off an email to Mr. Belir, and do hope to establish contact.

if you do demonstrate the device at ECR this week, please let us know how it goes! (preferably by private email though, i suppose. Please find my email in my forum profile.)