After 2 years of use its dead

dash8guy

After 2 years of use its dead

Post by dash8guy »

My TrackIR 4 was working just fine.No serious abuse or heavy use,went to plug it in tonight to use with FSX and its no joy.No lights,not seeing it through USB.Tried on another PC,no go.I am pretty certain its dead.

I have read of many encounters like I just had.I fully understand its out of warranty.For the price we pay for these gadgets there should be a longer warranty or should at least not be so fragile.I am seriously contemplating on not buying another if they won't last.I bought mine here from NP.Is there some service option to repair or do I have to buy a completely new unit?Also curious if the Track IR5's have a longer life span?

Regards,
sonicboom

Re: After 2 years of use its dead

Post by sonicboom »

Mine went dead last week too after almost 2 years and a half. No more small ir lights :(

I wonder if the recent installation of the lastest beta drivers has anything to do about it.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Do you have access to another PC that you can test the detection of the device on? This can help narrow the issue down to a hardware failure of the camera.

In general, most electronic products that fail do so within the initial operation phase of the device; unfortunately though sometimes components just fail, either thru a power surge, power brown out, or chip failure.

The installation of drivers shouldn't effect the detection of the device in general.
dash8guy

Post by dash8guy »

To be honest I had just started using the Track IR5 software.The very next day my Track IR 4 would not light up or work whatsoever.I have also wondered about this.Very strange that it would burnout after use of the software.I tried it on another PC and its not working.I put TrackIR 4 software back on and its still dead.What luck.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Yes i tried on another PC but no luck about device detection.

It's like the track ir don't get electrical power anymore :(

Drivers shouldn't effect the detection of the device but could very well accellerate hardware failure.