New MB -> TrackIR not working?

mjaspers23

Re: New MB -> TrackIR not working?

Post by mjaspers23 »

I'm still experiencing problems, even with the new PCI-E USB card, so I'm wondering what else can be the problem.
I am going to test some more on another pc, cause I'm now started to think it can be related to the TIR after all.

There are time I can play and it only fails 2-3 times an evening, but at other times I need to unplug/replug the TIR every couple of 2-3 minutes :(
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Entirely possible. If you continue to have issues, email support@naturalpoint.com with your serial number and we can see what we can do.
mjaspers23

Post by mjaspers23 »

Well, another day of testing :)

I tried the TrackIR on my laptop and it just kept on working, so it seems nothing is wrong with the device.
On my desktop it just keeps on crashing like always, so I will send a mail to support, thanks for the suggestion!

By the way (not sure if it helps), this is what I see when the TrackIR stops working (notice the red square in the camera view):
NaturalPoint - Mike

Could you email a full size copy of the screenshot you posted in the forums?

Did you upgrade your monitor or move the placement of the TrackIR?

Did you move the computer during the upgrade?

When the TrackIR does this, does it feel hotter than usual?
mjaspers23

Post by mjaspers23 »

Hello Mike,

Thanks again for the help.

I will send the screenshot.

I have not upgraded my monitor, but I have moved the TrackIR a couple of times from left to right ( on top of the monitor )

I have definitely moved my pc, since I put in the new motherboard, a new cpu, new memory and a new graphics card :)

I was also wondering whether it might be overheating, but it doesn't feel hot, just a little warm.

I'm now also testing with some older software versions. With version 5 beta 05 the software is working, but the TrackIR is not working in games (the blue light does not light up), but with version 5 final B the TrackIR works again in games. I did not have time enough to test it any further, so I will do that again tomorrow.
NaturalPoint - Mike

If the TrackIR only exhibits this behavior on the computer, I'm thinking the issue is entirely environmental. Are there any accessories that are used with the TrackIR on the desktop that are not used on the laptop (nvidia 3d, et. cetera)?

Will it exhibit this behavior if you're not running a sim?

Try running a sum, but move the TrackIR to a different spot on your desk nowhere near where it currently is and don't wear the trackclip (just let it sit there). If you switch back and forth between the sim and the TrackIR software, does it start doing this?
mjaspers23

Post by mjaspers23 »

Sorry to reply so late, but someone at MSI told me to get a self powered hub cause that might solve the problem. I got that today and unfortunately it was again no solution.

There are quite some differences between the pc's with regard to hardware indeed. One is a laptop with an nvidia card, the other a desktop with an ATI card.

The trackir freezes when just running the program in win7, without any sim running.

I did as you suggested, but again it froze within seconds, so even without moving the trackclip.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Try version 4.1.038 on the desktop and see if that works:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... .Final.exe
mjaspers23

Post by mjaspers23 »

The same thing happens with version 4. At the moment it is stuck, I see that the software reports "no data", not sure what that means. One thing I'm pretty sure of, is that it is not software related, since the software neer crashes.

I have noticed two other things in the meantime:
1) the problems are much worse on a usb 2.0 port than on a 3.0 port.
2) the problem occurs much more with version 5.1
mjaspers23

Post by mjaspers23 »

Version 4 of the software gives me the same red screen when the error occurs as version 5:

Of course I have given the suggestion by MSI (to let the supplier test the motherboard) some more thought and what makes me uncertain to do so, is that it also happens with the PCIe card. MSI's suggestion was that the problem might lie in the USB ports, but why then does it happen with the PCIe card too?