Doom 3 BFG Edition

cylonsurfer

Re: Doom 3 BFG Edition

Post by cylonsurfer »

Any news from your Dev team Seth? Is it looking likely they'll be interested in picking this up?

Cheers
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

There is interest, for sure. But...

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth]One significant qualifier on this D3 BFG possibility--our devs work on three product platforms simultaneously--TrackIR being one of them--and they're presently heads down working on our largest development project in company history for our OptiTrack line. So it's probably safe to assume that nobody will be available to jump on a mod project next week.[/quote]
I'll refer back to this and say that we're literally swamped with the largest project we've undertaken in quite some time--probably our company's history. While a D3 BFG mod is something we'd like to explore, it realistically can't be on our radar for the next while.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
cylonsurfer

Post by cylonsurfer »

Any news?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Unfortunately, the status remains the same. All hands on deck on another, humongous project. I'm expecting things to remain the same for the next 3-6 months.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
cylonsurfer

Post by cylonsurfer »

So what you are sayng is that you are going to ignore all support for a product that you have sold to a large amount of customers and continue to do so. A Very, very poor attitude, "we have your money now get lost while we make more working on somthing else". If you expect to continue selling TrackIR I would seriously hope to see more commitment from you guys.

I'll be sure to make my views very clear in as many public places as possible. Waiting 3 - 6 months for you to look at "maybe" supporting a game is just unacceptable. Hopefully I can prevent others from wasting a lot of money on a product you clearly do not have much love for.

3 - 6 months for your product to further stagnate - come on. It's time to act like professionals who are selling a product they intend to continue to support.

Things do not look good for TrackIR. Such as shame.

Do you intend on putting such news on your main page? Something along the lines of "Beware, we do not intended to work on further TrackIR game support for 3 - 6 months, we have more important clients to consider". At least your customers can make an informed choice on whether to purchase or not, instead of laying down a lot of money for TrackIR only to find out that Mouse Emulation is the best it can offer and you have little or no interest in adding new game compatibility.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi CylonSurfer. I appreciate your frustration over this situation, but please understand--that's not at all what I'm saying. We will continue to support TrackIR with our API, working hand in hand with developers to officially integrate head tracking in their titles--the same thing we've done in the 130+ games that already support our tech.

That pipeline is established, stable, and efficient, and as such is totally sustainable. It's also agile enough that it allows us to continue to support new games even while we're in the midst of a major dev phase. Modding is a far more laborious and uncertain pathway to support. That doesn't mean we're opposed to it. It does, however, mean that when we're in the middle of a project, with all of our developers working day and night to complete it, we're not able to just drop everything and tackle a new task that's outside of our standard pipeline for product development.

Doing so might seem reasonable--or even critical--from an external viewpoint, but that's not the way software development works. If that's how we operated our business, we literally could not keep the doors open. We would never complete anything, and the quality of all of our projects would suffer.

Taking a macro view of our history--we've been developing and selling head tracking technology for a decade. We've had steady adoption over that time, and we continue to expand our supported game library. That we don't have the time in the middle of another project to service this mod request does not mean that TrackIR is in a bad place, or that no work is being done on it at all. It just means that our programmers are currently tasked.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack