Battlefield 2 and 2142

jjjayb

Re: Battlefield 2 and 2142

Post by jjjayb »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth][quote=electrikcar]The Battlefield 2 1.5 beta patch is out and to my surprise it has Novint Falcon controller support.

What. The. Hell.

If they can do it, why can't TrackIR? [/quote]
Ultimately, they felt that they were unable to deliver satisfactory infantry support and opted to remove it all together. However, my feeling is that they do believe in the technology and will likely program with TrackIR in mind on future Battlefield projects, assuming that any are released.

[/quote]

How hard would it be for them to implement support just for vehicles and aircraft? Infantry support would be okay, but I think most would prefer support for flying. This would eliminate the worry of being able to look through walls and cheat. Could they put in a check like "if in vehicle = true allow trackir"? I know it's probably not as easy as it sounds but it would be nice. Or at least offer this for offline play only.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=jjjayb]
How hard would it be for them to implement support just for vehicles and aircraft? Infantry support would be okay, but I think most would prefer support for flying. This would eliminate the worry of being able to look through walls and cheat. Could they put in a check like "if in vehicle = true allow trackir"? I know it's probably not as easy as it sounds but it would be nice. Or at least offer this for offline play only. [/quote]
Unfortunately, when they decided to remove TrackIR infantry support, they opted to remove *all* TrackIR support. I lobbied for the inclusion of vehicles at least, but it was a decision made by some of the higher-ups at EA--difficult for Dice to overrule. TrackIR is going to have to wait until the next Battlefield iteration.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
wotg

Post by wotg »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth][quote=jjjayb]
Unfortunately, when they decided to remove TrackIR infantry support, they opted to remove *all* TrackIR support. I lobbied for the inclusion of vehicles at least, but it was a decision made by some of the higher-ups at EA--difficult for Dice to overrule. TrackIR is going to have to wait until the next Battlefield iteration. [/quote]
I think it`s awesome that you even gave it a try.
Does this mean that there will be no possibility to use Trackir in Project reality too?
Rumors have already begun to surface about BF3 so hopefully by the same time next year we can play a battlefield game with Trackir and 6 DOF.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=kimb]I think it`s awesome that you even gave it a try.
Does this mean that there will be no possibility to use Trackir in Project reality too?
Rumors have already begun to surface about BF3 so hopefully by the same time next year we can play a battlefield game with Trackir and 6 DOF. [/quote]
I believe that TrackIR can be integrated by the Project Reality devs, if they desire--but the sever would have to be Punkbuster free, as it will reject TrackIR integration unless officially implemented by Dice. We're more than happy to support this effort. I think we've had discussion with them on this in the past, but they were waiting to see if Dice was going to pull the trigger and do it themselves. This discussion predates my time here, but that's what I've gleaned about the situation.

It's certainly possible that TrackIR will make it into Battlefield 3. We're very hopeful that this will be the case. We're regularly contacting Dice developers to offer our support and communicate the desire of the TrackIR community. I wholeheartedly recommend that all interested TrackIR owners join in the cause either on their forums or through email.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
wotg

Post by wotg »

The BF2 demos we see on youtube, how are these done?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

They were intially developed as a tech demo application.
borgmdp

Post by borgmdp »

I just bought not one, but 2 Trackir 5.... I saw the videos on youtube... just to play bf2... now hehe what can i say... viral marketing on youtube? its not fair. by the way i live in f. spain. what can i do?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi borgmdp. I'm sorry that you bought your TrackIRs with the intention of playing BF2. As the video's description and several of its comments note, it is only a tech demo--not an example of official support. If you purchased directly from NaturalPoint within the last 30 days, you can return the products for a refund of the units' purchase price. But, you will need to pay to ship them back to us, which might make it more worthwhile to just hold on to them. That's up to you.

If you do keep them, you should definitely consider trying out ArmA 2. BIS did a fantastic job integrating TrackIR into what is one of the world's best tactical FPS titles. They have a very involved community with plenty of PVP and coop squads.

Additionally, Battlefield 3 is coming (probably not for a year or so), and I think there's a pretty good chance that TrackIR will be supported. We're working with DICE, trying to anticipate and iron out any potential obstacles, so we can hopefully get a great implementation of TrackIR's head-tracking in BF3, potentially in both vehicles and infantry.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
borgmdp

Post by borgmdp »

thanks for your prompt response. I just tried now arma 2 its great. i�ve bought it offcourse. I believe in this product. It�s just i play bf2 for the little spare time i have to play videogames.

Can you tell me why i cannot use the TIRMouse with Battlefield 2? its like stops working as soon i go out in another aplication, and the Trackir software crashes when the BF2 it�s starting.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I know there have been some issues with the mouse emulator not playing nicely with BF2. I'm not sure why it's been happening, but our support manager might be able to shed some light on it. The mouse emulation program is pretty old at this point, and hasn't been supported by dev resources in quite some time. It is on our list to refresh and improve, but I don't think that will be happening for many months, at the earliest. When we do examine it, we'll check out any of these reported conflicts and see what's up.

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack