Battlefield 2 and 2142

Seth Steiling

Re: Battlefield 2 and 2142

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi sereupin,

We've fully explored this topic with Dice over the past many months, and TrackIR will not be in Battlefield 2 or 2142. The games are getting older, and have so many layers of code piled on them, that fitting TrackIR in proved unfeasible. Both NaturalPoint and Dice did what we could to make it happen, but it couldn't be fixed.

You can still contact them, though, if you like. I would recommend asking for TrackIR support in future Dice games, which might include another Battlefield game, if they choose to make it.

Thanks for your persistence!

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Just so everyone knows... we're aware of it:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/951/951463p1.html

And I'm currently contacting Dice to see what can be done.

:)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
mR.Waffles

Post by mR.Waffles »

I was just getting ready to bump this thread with that link... wierd.
shadyzee

Post by shadyzee »

so i beleive now after DICE decided to go for more of BF's , TRACKIR needs to go forward and talk to DICE again regarding this coming games , since they thought BF is good no more or as you said getting older !!
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=shadi]so i beleive now after DICE decided to go for more of BF's , TRACKIR needs to go forward and talk to DICE again regarding this coming games , since they thought BF is good no more or as you said getting older !![/quote] I've been in contact with the Dice team, but BF 1943 might be a tough title to get TrackIR into. It's primarily a console game that will be ported to the PC. Accordingly, the scope of the game is quite minimal compared to BF 2 and whatever its sequel might be. I've asked for TrackIR to be implemented, but it's a totally different team working on this title, and with the audience and primary platforms being different as well, I think that the pitch of TrackIR's utility sounds a bit different. Hopefully Dice will still respond positively, but if not, I think there will likely be some sort of full-scale followup to BF 2 down the road. That will be one of our primary targets, when it's announced.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
jjjayb

Post by jjjayb »

Still no way of getting this "mod" for single player only?
DonbeE

Post by DonbeE »

hi all, need some help.. when I try to run my TIRMouse.exe an error windows pop out "unable to initialize trackIR" how can I fix it? anyone...
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Do you have the TrackIR software running, before running the mouse emulation software?

Using Mouse Emulation in Games

The basics are as follows:

Load the TrackIR software.
Load the TIRMouse.EXE file that is located in your TrackIR installation folder. C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR for example.
Load the game you wish to use and be sure to have the mouse look option enabled within the game.
With mouse look turned on you should be able to use the TrackIR now.
electrikcar

Post by electrikcar »

The Battlefield 2 1.5 beta patch is out and to my surprise it has Novint Falcon controller support.

What. The. Hell.

If they can do it, why can't TrackIR?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=electrikcar]The Battlefield 2 1.5 beta patch is out and to my surprise it has Novint Falcon controller support.

What. The. Hell.

If they can do it, why can't TrackIR? [/quote]
I actually did persuade them to integrate TrackIR in both 2 and 2142, but because Battlefield wasn't designed with 6 DOF view control in mind, it introduced some problems when they were play testing. TrackIR could easily be used to look through walls, look thorough weapon models, etc. Some of those issues were aesthetic--and were determined acceptable by both parties--but some provided what were perceived as unfair game play advantages. These are simple to address if planned for during development, but don't forget that Battlefield 2 is many years old. Additionally, because of the layers of assumptions built on their current aiming/viewing/HUD controls, there was a lot to unravel to assign the view control to TrackIR. Ultimately, they felt that they were unable to deliver satisfactory infantry support and opted to remove it all together. However, my feeling is that they do believe in the technology and will likely program with TrackIR in mind on future Battlefield projects, assuming that any are released.

As far as the Falcon, I suspect it didn't mess with any of Dice's programmatic assumptions, as it doesn't really change controls. It just offers a different avenue to access them. On top of that, if you read some press releases that went out several months ago, it appears likely that Novint has raised potentially millions of dollars to purchase support in games, hoping that increased title integration will lead to sufficient sales to cover this cost. We prefer to present TrackIR for what it is and work with game devs that want to integrate what we can offer, because it augments their game in a meaningful way.

Hope this back story makes sense and puts this topic to rest. Be assured that we'll be beginning this process all over again as soon as we get word about a sequel to BF 2 being in the works.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack