Battlefield 3

cavannu

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by cavannu »

I'll bump your bump..err...ok that doesn't sound good. Moving on.

TrackIR support in BF3 is essential. I guess I'll take their support of dedicated servers on the PC as a sign of hope here.

At the very least with regards to BF2, BFBC2, 2142, etc., is there anyway, even using mouse emulation, to slave "mouse look" to the TrackIR when I get into a vehicle?

With the track clip pro the percision seems like it's there.

Something like maybe a hotkey to replace the "free look" key for head tracking?

I swear I saw someone demo this on YouTube a while back, anyone know?

Back to the point here though, someone start that thread on the Dice Forums and I'll happily /sign
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=Trooper0315]Yet again-another bump, but I figured this is the best thread to bring this up in Seth, Can you make the mouse emulation in BF2 work as if you were holding down Look (when in a vehicle) without any modifications? If not, how would one do it?[/quote]
The mouse emulation capabilities in BF3 require you to hit a hotkey, just like you would if you were using the mouse/hat to look around. This is the extent of DICE's freelook implementation, and you can be pretty sure they won't be changing it.

[quote=Cavan]At the very least with regards to BF2, BFBC2, 2142, etc., is there anyway, even using mouse emulation, to slave "mouse look" to the TrackIR when I get into a vehicle?

With the track clip pro the percision seems like it's there.

Something like maybe a hotkey to replace the "free look" key for head tracking?

I swear I saw someone demo this on YouTube a while back, anyone know?

Back to the point here though, someone start that thread on the Dice Forums and I'll happily /sign[/quote]
There is some rudimentary support for freelook in BF2, but I don't know about the others. If you wanted to try it, you'd need to use the TrackIR mouse emulation utility.

If you're looking to /sign, you can hit up this thread:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/4995265.page
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
gonk

Post by gonk »

signed ... lets hope for Trackir Support..
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

I also just emailed DICE, but I imagine their in-boxes are full of console players complaints of 24 player only MP. But I guess the more emails they see with TRACK IR in the title the more likely they are to support this AWESOME piece of "Tech".
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

So I have been on multiple sights and seen ALOT pf people that would LOVE track IR in the game. has there been any movement on this from DICE??
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

No public announcement as of yet, but I did hear back from some of their producers a few days ago. Right now, they said they are scrambling to wrap up the core game, so they're not planning on supporting 3rd party devices at release. Disappointing, but we're not giving up. We're now pitching post-release support in a patch, which they said they're open to.

I do think it's good for the TrackIR community to keep requesting support, so they're continually reminded of it. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

That just sucks. Seth honestly how much work does it take to implement track IR into a game that has mouse look? I am just wondering.

I have a hard time beleiving that they will ever look at this again after release. as we can see with BF2 it got modded in but was never adapted to work.

For me this is strike 1 for BF3. We are being told the game is going to take advantage of the PC but we can see that they aren't REALLY looking into all the things PC can do. bummer.... just a bummer.

Hey all I have put a post in the DICE forums for BF3 to support TRACK IR PLEASE GO THERE AND VOTE TO SUPPORT!!!

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5461349.page
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

JumpArtist wrote:That just sucks. Seth honestly how much work does it take to implement track IR into a game that has mouse look? I am just wondering.
Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this. In any mode that already supports mouse-look, 2 DOF TrackIR support should be very, very simple--probably requiring less than an hour's dev time. But, if you want all 6 DOF to be supported, it's difficult to predict. Did the developer create art assets that take those extra DOF into account? If so, that's a good start for us. If not, you have to factor time to modify existing art assets into the equation. (Or you can accept the trade-off that using TrackIR will break some of the game's models--an approach that some devs have gone with.)
I have a hard time beleiving that they will ever look at this again after release. as we can see with BF2 it got modded in but was never adapted to work.
Don't give up hope yet! The BF2 situation was completely different. I worked with DICE and EA for a long time, exploring the viability of TrackIR support in BF2. At that time, it was a several year old game engine, with many built-in limitations that complicated TrackIR support. And we still made lots of progress. Frankly, TrackIR support in BF2 was very close to happening. It just turned out that there were a few unforeseen issues very late in the game that prompted DICE to end that project.

That mod you mentioned did not use a viable approach for actual development--it was a view mod based on a memory hack, which we put out to show DICE how TrackIR could augment BF2 gameplay. But the code wasn't portable to their engine. Think of it as a very rudimentary, conceptual demo--nothing more.

With BF3, we're looking at a new engine, with a development team that is fully aware of and intrigued by TrackIR's existence as an add-on to their game--neither of which was true when BF2 was developed. Additionally, when BF3 development was beginning, we gave some of the new leadership at DICE a briefing on the BF2 experience, including input on how BF3 could better accommodate TrackIR support from the ground up. Whether any of this will ultimately result in support, I can't say. But we definitely have a better foundation to work with.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
codex

Post by codex »

[quote=JumpArtist]http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5461349.page[/quote]
Signed under that topic. Hope they will add Trackir support on beta stage.
mikelaw

Post by mikelaw »

HEY SETH, any movement on BF3 TRACK IR integration?