Crysis 2!

fastz28camaro1981

Crysis 2!

Post by fastz28camaro1981 »

I would LOVE to have head tracking capability with Crysis 2, that would be so sick.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to have the ability to do this in Crysis 2?

Also people... side note. if your looking for different ways of increasing Immersion in games (hence the TrackIR) then you have to play games with a Buttkicker, and in 3D, games are so much better when you use all this stuff together. I honestly think it should be a standard for gaming.

the Novint Falcon is something else that MIGHT be worth checking into, but I think it needs some improving.

anyways, Crysis 2.... :-)
Seth Steiling

Re: Crysis 2!

Post by Seth Steiling »

We've been pretty persistent with Crytek in proposing TrackIR integration in their titles. Thus far they've been very... disinterested. I'm not sure what the hangup is, but they seemed quite satisfied with the current state of their game--that is to say, without TrackIR. ;)

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
HORSECORN

Post by HORSECORN »

Well gentlemen,

Seems the main thing of getting TRACKir to run on CRYSIS 2 is to get an idea of what it should do.

The mouse at this time controlls AIM and your DIRECTION of movement.

I vote ... let the mouse control direction of movement only and allow TRACKir to control point of aim. This would enable a player to look and shoot to his left and right while running forward.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Richard,

That is the sort of implementation that we would envision as well, and what we typically encourage of FPS developers. The hangup, at this point, is Crytek's lack of interest thus far in doing the actual integration.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
JimmysTrackir

Post by JimmysTrackir »

Seth,

Out of curiosity, just what does implementation entail?

Do you have packages ready to send to developers for easy installation. Or do they program Trackir functions into the games themselves. Is it an expensive time consuming processes, or a weekend project?
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

Glad to see that you're getting active with game devs! That certainly helps. smile

The process is pretty simple. We don't charge devs for the SDK. They just need to send me an email requesting it. (Either directly at seth@naturalpoint.com or through our contact forms.)

I'll have them sign an agreement that says they won't distribute the SDK to other people without our permission. Once they do that, I'll send them a link to the documentation.

They'll integrate about 20 lines of our code to be able to talk to our software (which is, in turn, talking to our hardware). After that, they should be receiving 6 DOF data from our system. They're then free to map that data to whatever they want in their game (usually the in-game camera).

Hopefully this answers your question sufficiently. smile

- Seth

thats how he explained it to me
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Yep, that's about it. The unpredictability comes into play once the devs decide what they want to do with the data, and how their engine will accommodate it. But as far as our API, it's typically a simple process.

- Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I recently finally got Crysis 2 and this is one example of a game that isn't even trackmapper friendly.

Usually, for games that have lean left/right controls, I simply map a key stroke to an axis and it's great fun! But their implementation of leaning in Crysis 2 even made this simple workaround impossible. Reason being I would have had to map my typical control keys WASD to pitch and roll, but then accidental head movement would also move my character - and that's bad.

Crysis 1 however, perfectly executed trackmapper game. Not stupified for controllers...

Anyway. Just my thoughts.