Jitter when turning to right?

pilotbroberts

Jitter when turning to right?

Post by pilotbroberts »

TrackIR4 Pro Clip... For some reason when I turn to the right the screen shakes rapidly. I have checked background IR sources and there are none. Have tried moving my camera. and the lights are also staying green in the full range of motion of my head. Any ideas on what is going on?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Jitter when turning to right?

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

Could you post a screenshot of your TrackIR software when it exhibits this behavior?
Drillin

Post by Drillin »

This is also happening to my setup as well (trackir 4 with proclip) it is smooth as silk when looking to the left but when i turn my head to the right it wigs out.

VERY FRUSTRATING!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Could you post a screenshot of the TrackIR software when it's doing this? The screenshots contain information we can use to assist in troubleshooting the source of the problem.
illmatic

Post by illmatic »

I'm having the exact same problem, and it is extremely frustrating.

TrackIR 5 with TrackClip Pro
Windows 7

Not dependent on a game as it happens in the TrackIR 5.1 software as well. Every direction is smooth with the exception of right, where it only turns a certain degree and then it flips sideways and upside down. The amount of degree varies based on the sensitivity and distance I sit from the monitor, but it always happens.

Also I checked the camera view to ensure all three green dots were displaying properly. There are no other light sources interfering, and the problem happens even in a dark room at night with all lights off.

Please reply as I am at a loss on how to fix this issue, which apparently several of us are having.

Here is a picture of what happens in regards to the tracking error when turning right:

Note: In this picture I have only the Yaw axis enabled, otherwise the indicator dot would be off elsewhere wildly. It jumps around elsewhere at that point, so I locked the axis for demonstration purposes. The 3D model accurately shows what the Track IR does to my view after turning right.

Thank you for your time.
illmatic

Post by illmatic »

[Mods: Sorry for the duplicate post under TrackIR & TrackClip Pro, wasn't certain where the fault belonged - though I do now. Posting the update in case the others with the same problem have yet to resolve their issue]

Update:

Well what do you know, when I use the free TrackClip it tracks my movement flawlessly. So that means the TrackIR, angle of camera, light sources, and the software are just fine.

I must admit it's disappointing that the $35 add-on (TrackClip Pro) to an already expensive toy was the culprit. I assumed it would enhance, rather than hinder, my experience with the TrackIR.

To anyone that reads this I would be hesitant to spend the extra cash on the TrackClip Pro, unless you have a specific aversion to wearing a cap during your gaming session. The time lost fooling with this, really wasn't worth it in retrospect.

(Not to mention the time I've yet to spend calling them up and sending the TrackClip Pro back to Oregon. I live in FL, hopefully they cover shipping - we shall see.)
NaturalPoint - Mike

No problem, we cleaned up the others, it does belong in here.

When using the TrackClip Pro, did you make sure to click "TrackClip Pro" under basic settings to let the camera know which one it should be tracking? Using a mismatched clip and software setting will do exactly the thing you are describing.
illmatic

Post by illmatic »

Well, a few things.

1.) Yes.

2.) I specifically addressed that question in my reply to the three page, 4000 view thread about the exact same issue. Though it may have looked similar, I'm assuming you deleted it without reading it.

3.) I replied to that thread for the reason of helping anyone who had notifications on who were still having the same problem. At last post, there were no answers and it was only a few months old.
illmatic

Post by illmatic »

Additionally, many users may not realize it is their TrackClip Pro which is causing this problem, and thus, not check this forum. I certainly did not, and looked to the TrackIR forum initially. Which is where the thread in question resides, so I'm not alone in that line of thinking. In fact, the techs who replied did not even suggest to try the regular TrackClip in an attempt to isolate the problem. So apparently they did not consider the possibility either.

All I was doing was trying to help the many others who were experiencing similar frustrations. From everyone who describes it, they all have an issue turning to the right, and they all use the TrackClip Pro.

I understand this may come off negative, or reflect poorly on your product, but outright censorship of my post seems a bit heavy handed.

This is becoming a rehash of the entire post which was deleted but in it I also conceded that there are many people that have no problems with the TrackClip Pro. However, I've read enough individual complaints on this issue to conclude that my unit is not simply a one-off "lemon".
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi illmatic,

I'll let Mike continue to troubleshoot your problem, but I wanted to chime in with a few comments:

- We're not aiming to censor your posts, but rather streamline the topic to one thread. If someone else posts with this issue in the future, and doesn't see this thread, we'll definitely see that post and either direct them here or answer it there. We'd prefer that to spamming multiple forums as a method of catching everyone with the problem. It keeps the forums tidier and, frankly, makes it simpler for us to keep track of the support requests that are mixed in with other general forum chatter.

- The behavior you're describing is typically the result of having the wrong tracking target selected. I'd guess this is the cause at least 75% of the time. So, at least with this particular behavior, it's not symptomatic of a fault with the TCP very often.

- That the standard TrackClip is working doesn't necessarily isolate the issue to being with the TCP. Changing the tracking types actually changes software settings and camera settings as well, to optimize for that tracking type, so it could be a deeper issue than just the object being tracked.

Thanks, and please be patient with us as we try to get to the bottom of your issue. We'll do our best to get you straightened out, I promise. :)

- Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack