More accurate tracking with hat-clip?

ottonie

More accurate tracking with hat-clip?

Post by ottonie »

Hi.

Just got my TIR4 yesterday and have been now tuning and fine tuning it for last evening and this morning.

It works out just fine, but I cannot get the TrackClip Pro that came with the device work satisfactorly. I use TrackIR with flightsims, so it's quite important to have the view stay still when it's needed. Now with the trackclip pro I get almost nonstop small jerking and jitter even when consciously trying to keep my head still. The TIR works near-perfectly with the hat-clip that came with it.

I've tried everything I could've found on the net. Positioning the camera on every corner of my 24" monitor, closing the curtains, checking that the clip is positioned correctly facing straight ahead on the headset (somebody said it was in slight of an angle on his/hers headset causing jitter). Distance between the unit and trackclip is just that optimum ~50cm. I've tried to adjust the lighting thresholds and IR-brightnesses but I cannot see any noticeable improvement. The jerking is in there even with speed at 1.0 and smoothing all the way at 50. I use Seth's flight-profile with some slight modifications by me (with reduced sensitivities on Y and X-axels). In the camera-view I cannot see any interference from other light sources and the 3 dots are centered on the screen.

At the moment I'm using the hatclip attached to my headset since flying with the TrackClip Pro is no pleasure. Am I doing something wrong or do you need more details? Let me know =)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: More accurate tracking with hat-clip?

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

The TrackClip Pro can provide a more sensitive response from the camera, which is one of the benefits of the device. Unfortunately, it can, sometimes, pick up on unintended movements that are made that you're simply not aware are happening. My recommendation would be to make use of the pause feature. It allows you to get a particular area in focus, and freeze the view there while you are doing something if need be. Afterwards, you can simply unpause and continue on your way.

Pause, by default, is F9
ottonie

Post by ottonie »

Allright. So in the end of the day I'm not doing anything wrong but this is more of a limitation (or unneeded extra-feature :D) of the device?
I'll stick to the head clip for now and after a while of getting used to the TIR I'll give the pro-clip a go.
ottonie

Post by ottonie »

Just got me thinking here; is it possible to somehow set the limit for minimum head movement that's required until TIR turns the view in the flightsim? I.e. TrackIR would ignore the smallest little movements you'd do unconsciously. I know how to set up the deadzone and how it works, but I believe this only works in the "center" of the axel (e.g. if you're looking down and right to your radio panel your view jerks whereas if you're looking straight ahead it doesn't since you're within the deadzone)?

Is this possible to be done or are you possibly working on this to be implemented in the next software update?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Unfortunately, there's no way to set the deadzone outside of center right now outside of the pause button.
ottonie

Post by ottonie »

Just for curiosity tested the normal trackclip-profile with my trackclip pro and the movement is much smoother. The view however doesn't act correctly, as it's not supposed to work like that.

What's different in the sensitivity of the normal trackclip-profile and trackclip pro-profile in the TIR-software?(by this I mean choosing between the trackclip and trackclip pro -tracking target buttons in the top left hand corner). I can positively confirm that the normal trackclip profile's movement is much smoother than the trackclip pro's even when using the trackclip pro with the normal trackclip-profile. Much less of that little jerking when trying to keep the view still.

With some tweaking I've managed to get the pro clip work as well just fine, it just takes some getting used to.
NaturalPoint - Mike

The difference is the geometry it looks for as well as assumptions it has to make about the clip's position relative to your head. If you select the wrong mode, it will be completely off because it thinks your clip orientation is way off base.
voxy

Post by voxy »

Hi,

i know this topic is older than a year but anyways: I have the same issue.

I move the head to the right and TrackIR moves about 2 or 3 degrees back to the left then a little to the right and so on. I don't know if this is a new issue or if I just didn't noticed before. But now I need to click buttons and switches in the cockpit and this makes it really hard.
It's most certainly not my head moving.

I use TrackIR 4 with the newest software version 5.x

Any further ideas?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello voxy,

Would you please create a ticket with me at help.naturalpoint.com?
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
voxy

Post by voxy »

Hello Mike,

will do but bad things have happened: I tried trackIR 4 to see if it behaves the same what it did. It also told me that there is a new version 4.2.39 which I have installed. Same thing. But now trackIR 5.2.2 tells me 'no device detected'. So I removed both versions and the driver, installed 5.2.2 again which installed the x64 driver first but again: no device detected. It shows up fine in the device manager. I installed 4.2.39 - works (with the moving issue though). Any ideas why 5.2.2 doesn't see it? I kind of hijacked this thread now :roll: I know there are threads with this issue but it seems in those cases the device didn't show up correctly in the device manager...

lg, voxy