Wonderful product but just a bit too fragile

bino

Wonderful product but just a bit too fragile

Post by bino »

For several years I used a TrackIR 3 Pro with a track clip that had only passive reflectors. I upgraded to a TrackIR 5, and then later, to the Track Clip Pro. I love the performance improvements! I cannot fly a flight sim without them.

But in the time I've had the LED-based clip, it has broken twice. The first time, it failed at the juncture of the triple-prong LED holder and the primary arm. The second break was where the primary arm joins the headset clip. In both cases, the black plastic simply snapped from an oblique strain. Luckily, I'm pretty handy with quick-set epoxy.

Would it be possible for you to cast the parts of the clip in something more durable than the brittle black plastic you now use? For example, I remember the nylon propellers of my gas-powered model planes were nearly indestructible.

Please understand this is by no means a show-stopper kind of a flaw. But it would be a little more convenient if the clip were less fragile.

Thanks!
jolsonsalem

Re: Wonderful product but just a bit too fragile

Post by jolsonsalem »

We have actually modified the TrackClip PRO plastic, reinforcing the joints you referred to. From what we've seen since then, these changes have enhanced the overall durability of the device. Email me, jeff@naturalpoint.com, and I can see if you're eligible for a replacement. Include your order number/TrackIR serial number and picture of the broken parts if you could :)
KSBeebe

Post by KSBeebe »

Hi,

I have the same problem as the original poster. I'm on my 3rd TrackClip Pro. The first one was broken when I opened the box. The second broke when I picked it up for the first time. The third broke after 2 days of very gentle use.

At that point (which was 5 or 6 months ago) I gave up on this product, but I noticed your post about a new and improved version. If I order yet another one, and it breaks again, can I get my money back? If it breaks, given the time and wasted money I've put into this thing already, I will not be willing to accept a replacement.

Thank you,
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Kevin, shoot me an email at jeff@naturalpoint.com with your order number if you have it and I will get you a replacement.
nickoder

Post by nickoder »

Hi Jeff,

My TrackClip Pro has broken at the exact same spot, one of the tiny prongs just snapped off. I was loathe to buy a replacement just to have this happen again, but on finding this thread I thought I'd see if it is eligible for a replacement. I've gone ahead and sent an email with the particulars.
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Nicko,
I think we've been in contact over email, if not let me know and we'll get you set up.
KSBeebe

Post by KSBeebe »

Jeff,

Received the replacement TrackClip Pro today. It is indeed more durable than the old model. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks very much and you can bet I'll tell my friends and family about your outstanding customer support!

Kevin
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Glad we got this resolved for you and you're happy with it, and we look forward to hearing from your friends! :)
Cybermann

Post by Cybermann »

Hi

couldn't agree more with the comments regarding the product, great piece of kit but way too fragile. I have broken mine twice and have it currently duct taped but its not working as should and I have had to revert to the baseball cap version.

I doubt if I am still under guarantee as I bought my Track IR 5 package from the flightstore on 4th October 2010. Nice to hear the newer versions are more robust
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

My track IR 4 pro clip has broken twice , and its held together with tape, got so bad now i have just ordered a track IR 5,so i hope its more durable than the 4 (though its been tape up for a year or so now the actual track ir is fine just the pro clip..