Add a mic to the lower branch please

roads

Add a mic to the lower branch please

Post by roads »

Has it never been considered to add a mic to the lower branch of the Trackclip? Would make a lot of sense and spare users to mod their HD555, 595, 565 Beyerdymanics headphones. No additional branch just hidden in the branch itself or beside the IR light.
The additional cost for Naturalpoint or the user would be minimal.
roads

Re: Add a mic to the lower branch please

Post by roads »

Not a good idea?
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

I wasn't around when the TrackClip Pro was designed but ideas like this have previously be ruled out because we tried to make the TrackClip Pro so lightweight. Obviously other headsets do this so it isn't impossible, but it would also create a redundant function since most sim enthusiasts already use a headset that has a mic on it.
roads

Post by roads »

I see but there is not much weight involved, I think the thin two wires and a small mic would not even add 5g to the scale. If you look for quality headsets you don't find many and a headset enthusiast knows that gamer headsets are really bad quality. So the Beyer 770 pros or Sennheiser 595 598 650s get modded. Here you go for example. Tommyboys work for others. https://plus.google.com/photos/10526031 ... banner=pwa
Or people buy the antlion mic, quite expensive and quite crappy imho, the magnets don't even null out each other. http://www.modmic.com/

A mic in the lower limb of the track clip pro would simplify this a lot.

I mean you know how it is to convince a gaming studio to integrate headtracking. Ask around and see if people like the idea. I would definitively prefer one with a mic that does not add an extra cable or USB.
Maybe if you redesign the part that likes to break it would make sense to stop for a second, turn the clip pro a bit in the hand and do a slight Hmmmmmm sound :)
Rogueraven

Post by Rogueraven »

The solution is simple just make TrackClip pro into a headset. then it could have a more robust construction and beings nearly everyone buys headsets these days it automaticialy opens up a bigger market for the TrackClip, if more people have a headset with tracking then maybe the gaming market will incorporate head tracking into games due to reason it would be appealing to the mass's rather than the few.
SniperFodder

Post by SniperFodder »

Rogueraven wrote:The solution is simple just make TrackClip pro into a headset. then it could have a more robust construction and beings nearly everyone buys headsets these days it automaticialy opens up a bigger market for the TrackClip, if more people have a headset with tracking then maybe the gaming market will incorporate head tracking into games due to reason it would be appealing to the mass's rather than the few.
This. I keep thinking the solution to the TrackClip Pro was to maybe use Aluminum construction instead of the terrible plastic design. But, if the TrackClip Pro was integrated into a headset, The design could be made more resilient just by the principal of the device.

However, A problem with that is, if a led goes out, you'd have to replace the entire headset, unless the leds were made modular so as to be swapped (Almost like a christmas Tree light).

If NP doesn't want to make the headphones themselves, maybe possibly contact several Headphones developers and co-engineer it.

The only problem I would see is my current setup uses JVC Stereo Headphones with an 8mm jack. The TrackClip Pro headphones would probably be USB.